History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rochford Hospital Main Block, Comprising the Broom and Dowsett Wards

A Grade II Listed Building in Rochford, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5849 / 51°35'5"N

Longitude: 0.7037 / 0°42'13"E

OS Eastings: 587409

OS Northings: 190805

OS Grid: TQ874908

Mapcode National: GBR QNX.QPY

Mapcode Global: VHKHF.4FWB

Entry Name: Rochford Hospital Main Block, Comprising the Broom and Dowsett Wards

Listing Date: 11 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352194

Location: Rochford, Rochford, Essex, SS4

County: Essex

District: Rochford

Civil Parish: Rochford

Built-Up Area: Rochford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Rochford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rochford

Listing Text

DALYS ROAD
TQ 8790
(south side)
Rochford Hospital
15/10002 Main Block, compriing the
Broom and Dowsett Wards
II
Hospital administration and ward block. Dated 1938 on foundation stone to the left of the main
entrance;in full use by 1946-7.Designed by F W Smith.Brick in English bond with flat roofs;
projecting cornice to apsidal bays. Metal windows of an original design; metal and glass parapets
to first-floor balconies and terraces to south. Two storeys. Long block on east-west axis serves
as principle range; dominated by four apsidal projections, sun lounges, each with floor-to-ceiling
glazing similar to those of the nearby Johnson block. A shallow rectangular bay to lounge
between each outer pair of projections: floor-to-ceiling glazing and glass parapet to first-floor
balcony. Flat-arched entrance in centre leading to shallow, rectangular entrance courtyard.
Narrow wings stretch northwards from the rear of the rectangular bays to frame a rectangular
block that terminates in a hemicycle containing cafeteria and kitchen facilities. All openings flat
arched. The amount of glazing considerably reduced to the north elevations, where the chief
architectural interest consists in the low, neatly designed and well proportioned blocks; the
cafeteria block alone has extensive glazing, with clerestorey to hemicycle. The emphasis on
reduced elemental geometries and walls of glass show the clear influence of International
Modernism.


Listing NGR: TQ8740990805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.