History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salix

A Grade II Listed Building in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.214 / 52°12'50"N

Longitude: 0.0894 / 0°5'21"E

OS Eastings: 542843

OS Northings: 259362

OS Grid: TL428593

Mapcode National: GBR L77.5F0

Mapcode Global: VHHK2.HML4

Entry Name: Salix

Listing Date: 7 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227614

English Heritage Legacy ID: 47927

Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3

County: Cambridgeshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Cambridge

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Cambridge The Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Coton

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:-

CONDUIT HEAD ROAD
TL 45 NW
20/10010 Salix
GV II
House. 1934, extended 1936, by H C Hughes for Dr Oliphant (later Sir
Mark Oliphant), Australian scientist who worked with Rutherford. White
painted rendered brick. Bitumenised flat roofs. Plan: International
Modern style house. 2 storeys on left (west) containing living room,
kitchen and integral garage arranged around entrance hall with bedrooms
above, and long single storey bedroom wing on right (east) with roof
terrace above. In 1936 first floor bedroom accommodation was extended
over SW corner. Exterior: 1 and 2 storeys. 7-window south front. 2-
storey part on left projects with corner windows on its right. Low long
single storey wing of 5 windows with corner window on right and flat
roof canopy on roof terrace above from landing doorway in 2-storey
block. Original metal frame windows, those on ground floor with
continuous sills. East elevation has cantilevered quadrant canopy in
angle over glazed door with garage doors to right. Interior: Most of
original hardwood joinery survives including flush doors and solid
staircase balustrade with moulded hand-rail. Simple brick fireplace in
living room.
Note: formerly known as Brandon House.
Source: Buildings of England, Cambridgeshire, p255.


Listing NGR: TL4284359361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.