History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Peter Robinson

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5157 / 51°30'56"N

Longitude: -0.1414 / 0°8'29"W

OS Eastings: 529060

OS Northings: 181279

OS Grid: TQ290812

Mapcode National: GBR DB.FV

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.H5LD

Entry Name: Peter Robinson

Listing Date: 22 November 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227690

English Heritage Legacy ID: 425635

Location: Westminster, London, W1W

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Souls Langham Place

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 2891 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET W1
57/85 (East side)
22-11-73 Nos 272 to 286 even
(Peter Robinson, including
Nos 214 to 234 even Oxford
Street)
GV II
Department store and office block framing the north eastern quadrant of
Oxford Circus and the approach. 1912 design by Sir Henry Tanner completed
1923 with eastern extension for Peter Robinson of 1924 by H. A. Hall and
Clarkson. Portland stone cladding steel frame, slate roof. Classical style
with Beaux Arts details but more neo-Grec features to Hall and Clarkson
extension. Designed by Tanner as a symmetrical composition with the other
3 quadrant blocks framing the circus. 4 tall storeys and double attic in
steep mansards and pavilion roofs. Upper floors, including returns, organised
with projecting pavilions flanking quadrant and as terminal features, the
fenestration grouped in sequence from north end of block as follows: 3;
splayed corner; 1; 3; 9; 3; 3 to quadrant and 3 to Oxford Street plus 5
bay Peter Robinson extension. Ground floor shop fronts articulated by
pilasters decorated with wreathed shields crowned by cherub heads. Upper
floors have architraved bronze casements, 2nd floor with alternating pediments.
Pavilions have giant order of Ionic columns and pilasters, enriched aprons and
bronze balconies to central windows; central stone dormers carried up into
attic with open pediments. The quadrant has giant Ionic columns dividing
tripartite, bronze pilastered and framed windows. Main entablature below
attic with balustraded parapet. Corniced dormers; stone chimneystacks; roof
ridges with bronze crestings and triumphal ornaments. The 1924 Peter Robinson
extension has podium containing shop windows with deep, coffered soffits to
arches and deep set rectangular mezzanine windows above with coffered reveals
and soffits of individual design - the upper floors with giant fluted Doric
order carrying deep crowning entablature are more conventionally neo-Grec.


Listing NGR: TQ2906081279

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.