History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hunters Moon Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Sidmouth, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6853 / 50°41'7"N

Longitude: -3.2344 / 3°14'4"W

OS Eastings: 312889

OS Northings: 88024

OS Grid: SY128880

Mapcode National: GBR P8.XG4T

Mapcode Global: FRA 4738.HPZ

Entry Name: Hunters Moon Hotel

Listing Date: 12 October 1951

Last Amended: 12 November 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402395

Location: Sidmouth, East Devon, Devon, EX10

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Sidmouth

Built-Up Area: Sidmouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Salcombe Regis St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Sidmouth

Listing Text

SID ROAD
1.
1633
(West Side)
Hunters Moon Hotel
(Formerly listed as
Salcombe House)
SY 1288 7/27 12.10.51.
II
2.
The house was built for Sir James Cockburn, Dean of York and occupied
by the Marquis of Bute during the hey-day of Sidmouth. Somewhat later
by the Cornish family when they became Lords of the Manor of Salcombe
Regis. Late C18 with early C19 additions. 2 storeys. Main elevations
stuccoed. Entrance front at right angles to road. Reeded cornice to parapet.
Modern attic unobtrusive. Symmetrical fenestration. 5 windows, the centre
one, 1st floor, round headed. Recessed sashes, glazing bars intact, keystones
over. Good central Ionic porch now glazed in. West garden front has
4 windows, 3 in full height canted bay with cornice and parapet returned
from entrance front. Nearer road is a single storey red brick wing, stuccoed
to front where it has large tripartite sash window, glazing bars intact.
Brick side elevation has 2 Gothic windows with stone or stucco tracery
and central Gothic doorway. Parapet with coping conceals roof which has
small belvedere or clock tower, lead ogee peaked roof with delicate weathervane.
Possibly the wing was originally a coach house. To the rear is a 2 storeyed
stuccoed service wing with hipped slate roof. Sash windows glazing bars
intact. Former dovecot has been demolished.


Listing NGR: SY1288988024

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.