History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Barton

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitestone, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7373 / 50°44'14"N

Longitude: -3.6042 / 3°36'15"W

OS Eastings: 286893

OS Northings: 94299

OS Grid: SX868942

Mapcode National: GBR QQ.RX8F

Mapcode Global: FRA 37B4.9PK

Plus Code: 9C2RP9PW+W8

Entry Name: Old Barton

Listing Date: 4 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227922

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402357

Location: Whitestone, Teignbridge, Devon, EX4

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Whitestone

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Whitestone with Oldridge

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Whitestone

Description

WHITESTONE CHURCH TOWN
SX 89 SE
4/120 Old Barton

- II

House, formerly farmhouse. Probably late C17 in origin, extended in the C18 and
partly remodelled in the C19. Colourwashed rendered cob; concrete tile roof
(formerly thatched) hipped at ends of main range; brick axial stack; 2 rear stacks.
Overall L-plan with a rear right wing. The development of the house is not entirely
clear but there is evidence of a 3 room and through or cross passage plan, the lower
end to the left, the hall probably heated from a stack on the rear wall. The main
range appears to have been extended in the C18 by a wing adjoining the inner room,
with an C18 kitchen adjacent to the inner room and a rear service room. In the circa
late 1860s the roof was raised and slated and a cob chimney replaced by a brick shaft
and the old leaded-light windows were replaced "in the same form" (Dymond). A rear
corridor now connects the principal rooms.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front with a 6-panel front door left of centre into
the passage and a second entrance at the right. C19 3-light canted bay window 6
panes per light to right of passage door, other fenestration of 2- and 3-light small
pane casements.
Interior Not fully inspected but the passage survives, some C18 joinery and an C18
kitchen at the right end with a large cross beam and exposed joists. Circa early C19
stair with stick balusters.
Jonathan Dymond (1796-1828), an Exeter born poet and essayist rented Farm Barton in
1827. Dymond, a member of the Society of Friends, was involved in the Peace Society
and a founder member of the Auxiliary Peace Society established at Exeter in 1825.
Dymond, C.W.; Memoir, Letters and Poems of Jonathan Dymond (1907). Includes 3
illustrations of Old Barton of circa 1907 showing the front elevation much as it is
at present.
Shown as Farm Barton on OS map.


Listing NGR: SX8689294300

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.