This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7799 / 50°46'47"N
Longitude: -2.6224 / 2°37'20"W
OS Eastings: 356214
OS Northings: 97993
OS Grid: SY562979
Mapcode National: GBR PS.DCS5
Mapcode Global: FRA 57D0.VKX
Plus Code: 9C2VQ9HH+W2
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1228957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403694
Location: Toller Porcorum, Dorset, DT2
Civil Parish: Toller Porcorum
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Toller Porcorum St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 59 NE SCHOOL LANE
2/137 Church of St Peter
Parish Church. C14 Chancel and nave. C15 West Tower and North Porch, now
Vestry. South aisle added in 1891 when chancel also restored. Further
restoration in 1894-5. Dressed stone and banded stone and flint walls.
Slate and lead roofs. Chancel has a Ham stone parapet above the string.
North wall has two early C14 windows, with trefoiled ogee lights. South wall
has a 2-light window, trefoil-cusped with a label, all C19 restoration. East
window, C19 in Perpendicular style, 4-lights with cinquefoil cusping and
panel tracery. Nave, north wall, two windows largely late C19, but incorpor-
ating C15 material. Near the west end of the wall are the lines of a blocked
window with a 2-centred head. North Porch has a C14 outer archway with
chamfered jambs and segmental pointed head, now blocked and with a C20 window.
West Tower: early C15, 3 stages, with set-tack buttresses, an embattled
parapet and gargoyles, West doorway has moulded jambs, and two-centre arch,
with upper plinth moulding carried over as a label. West window of 4 trefoiled
lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head. Bell-chamber has in each wall
a window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a pointed head,
Interior: Chancel-arch incorporates c.late C13 materials. Pointed arch, of
3 chamfered orders. The moulded responds have marble shafting to the inner
orders, with defaced stone capitals. North of arch, restored opening to squint.
South of arch is one jamb of the upper doorway to the former rood-loft. South
nave arcade, 1891, central stone and elliptical arches. South aisle windows:
Three 2-light, transomed with panel tracery over. Fittings: Piscina (chancel),
with pointed arch head and 2 sunk-chamfered jambs, quirked, moulded label over,
round stone bowl with moulded corbelling. Font, lime - stone cylindrical
tub with chamfered top, crude volutes to 3 corners and projecting carved Ram's
head at 4th corner, Cl2. Upper part (separate), Ham stone, octagonal, S sides
have a single fleuron each, remaining 3 sides uncarved. White marble wall
tablets (1) to Harriet and Charlotte Meech, 1829, 1832. (2) To Giles Meech,
M. A. died 1849.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.252 (1))
Listing NGR: SY5621497993
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings