History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Hebden Bridge, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7434 / 53°44'36"N

Longitude: -2.0251 / 2°1'30"W

OS Eastings: 398439

OS Northings: 427448

OS Grid: SD984274

Mapcode National: GBR GT94.CT

Mapcode Global: WHB8D.V5TK

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 21 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1229139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403924

Location: Hebden Royd, Calderdale, HX7

County: Calderdale

Civil Parish: Hebden Royd

Built-Up Area: Hebden Bridge

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hebden Bridge St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Heptonstall

Listing Text

SD 92NE HEBDEN ROYD C.P. CHURCH LANE,
Mytholm, Hebden Bridge

1/88 Church of St. James

-

G.V. II

Commissioners' church, by Pickersgill and Oates (York) c.1833 with additions
and alterations 1874 to 1876 by R. Norman Shaw. At this date the north and
south galleries and the ceiling were removed. Ashlar, slate roof. West tower,
nave, south porch and chancel. Lancet style. 3 stage embattled tower
has angle buttresses which rises to form pinnacles. Doorway in 1st stage.
Single light window with clock face over to second. Single light belfry window
to 3rd stage. 5-bay nave, with angle buttresses rising to form pinnacles and
offset buttresses between each bay which has tall pointed arched windows with
hoodmould. Parapet. Porch in 1st bay has angle buttresses, pinnacles and
parapeted gable with pointed arched doorway. Chancel (1876) of 2 bays with
single storey side aisles with 3-light arched windows with hoodmould, parapet
with trefoil, gothic capping. Chancel has 2-light arched clerestorey windows
with quatrefoil over under arched hoodmould. 3-light lancet east window.
Interior: Wide bare nave without aisles, queen-post roof. Tall pointed chancel
arch with to either side smaller arches to aisles. That to south forms memorial
chapel to George Sowden, Honorary Canon of Wakefield and Vicar of the church
for 37 years who died 1899. Arcade to either side of chancel.
Furnishings: Carved reredos by Alfonso Noflaner c.1934 to celebrate the
centenary. All windows have stained glass illustrating the life of Christ
mostly dating from the 1870's, all by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Stone carved
pulpit is carried on marble columns. The rear gallery has been boxed in c.1983
to form enclosed vestibule and meeting'room. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding
(1967), p.260.


Listing NGR: SD9843927448

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.