History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II Listed Building in Edmondbyers, County Durham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8441 / 54°50'38"N

Longitude: -1.9791 / 1°58'44"W

OS Eastings: 401441

OS Northings: 549917

OS Grid: NZ014499

Mapcode National: GBR GDMF.BB

Mapcode Global: WHB30.KHST

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1229331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 404164

Location: Edmondbyers, County Durham, DH8

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Edmondbyers

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Edmundbyers and Muggleswick

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Edmondbyers

Listing Text

EDMONDBYERS 86278 ,Edmondbyers
NZ 04 NW
(West side, off)
6/47 Church of St. Edmund
31.1.67
GV II


Parish church; C12 and later, restored c.1859. Sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings; east wall thin courses of squared stone; quoins. Stone-flagged roof
with stone gable copings. 4-bay nave with south porch; 3-bay chancel with north
organ chamber and vestry. Porch has double boarded doors in chamfered round-
headed surround under gable with mask corbels supporting coping with ring-cross
finial. Inner doors diagonally-boarded with elaborate iron hinges. C19 round-
headed nave windows with drip moulds, in panels with corbel tables. West roundel
in round-headed panel. Slightly lower set-back chancel has 3 round-headed
windows, one C19, of varying heights, the medieval ones narrow and chamfered;
2 short buttresses. Similar east buttresses flank C19 round-headed window with
nook shafts under billet drip mould. Roof has flat gable copings on mask
corbels; angelus and east stone cross finials; west gabled bellcote. Interior:
rubble with ashlar dressings; re-used roof of collared trusses with struts on
chamfered tie-beams; chancel roof C19 king-post trusses. Restored chancel arch
flanked by inserted lower round-headed arches serving as lectern and pulpit.
Chamfered aumbry and round-headed piscina in south wall. Glass, faded in east
window, including south aisle memorial to William Featherstonhaugh, Rector 1856-
1904, by C.J. Baguley of Newcastle. Acorn and oak-leaf poppyhead bench ends.
Wood vestry in west end is C20 construction, as memorial to members of Marjoribanks
family, using C17 elements, door from Shepherds Dene House, Riding Mill;
priest's pew from Auckland Castle; organ case from All Saints, Clifton; fragments
from Durham Castle and Cathedral.


Listing NGR: NZ0144149917

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.