History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High House Chapel and Former Minister's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanhope, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7417 / 54°44'30"N

Longitude: -2.1993 / 2°11'57"W

OS Eastings: 387264

OS Northings: 538544

OS Grid: NY872385

Mapcode National: GBR FF2M.N0

Mapcode Global: WHB3H.52YR

Entry Name: High House Chapel and Former Minister's House

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230009

English Heritage Legacy ID: 404406

Location: Stanhope, County Durham, DL13

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanhope

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: St John's Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Saint Johns Chapel

Listing Text

STANHOPE A689 (North side)
NY 8738
Ireshopeburn
36/103 High House Chapel
and former
minister's house
GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and minister's house, now chapel and museum. 1760;
extended and raised 1871. Sandstone rubble with quoins, plinth and ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings.

Chapel: 2 storeys, 3 windows; house set back at left: 2 lower storeys and 2
bays, the left curved, and one-storey, one-bay pent left porch. West front of
chapel has 4-panelled double door and shaped fanlight under wide 2-centred arch
on pilasters; similar surrounds to flanking narrower windows all under drip
moulds. Continuous drip mould to 3 first-floor windows in similar style with
sill string. Round-headed louvred opening in gable peak has 2-centred-arched
drip mould. North and south fronts have chamfered flat stone lintels and
projecting stone sills to 3 windows on each floor. All windows late C19 sashes.

House has boarded door in centre, in plain stone surround; 20-pane sashes;
truncated left chimney. Interior: painted plaster above boarded and panelled
dado; coved stippled-plaster ceiling. Slender, tapered cast iron columns, with
abaci, painted in marbling with stencilled decoration, support 3 sides of
continuous gallery with panelled balustrade on brackets; west gallery on wall
behind high pulpit, which has pierced stylised flower patterns in Gothic panels;
organ in west gallery. Communion rail on slender turned balusters; smaller
balusters to west of side aisles. 12-sided ceiling ventilators with fret
panels.

House has C19 kitchen range in front room, plain stone chimney-piece in rear
room which has window shutters. L-plan stair has pierced cast iron panels
supporting moulded handrail with Gothic newels.

Source: Clack and Pattinson Weardale Chapels Durham 1978.


Listing NGR: NY8726438544

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.