This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.741 / 53°44'27"N
Longitude: -2.0124 / 2°0'44"W
OS Eastings: 399282
OS Northings: 427181
OS Grid: SD992271
Mapcode National: GBR GTD5.4P
Mapcode Global: WHB8F.270D
Entry Name: Hope Baptist Church with Integral Sunday School
Listing Date: 29 April 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1230080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404939
Location: Hebden Royd, Calderdale, HX7
Civil Parish: Hebden Royd
Built-Up Area: Hebden Bridge
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hebden Bridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 9927 HEBDEN ROYD C.P. NEW ROAD,
5/201 Hope Baptist Church with
integral Sunday School
Town Chapel and Sunday School, dated 1857. Ashlar, slate roof. Monumental
temple front as one tall storey in 3 bays articulated by giant Corinthian
pilasters on moulded bases rising from shallow plinth. Central doorway
approached by shallow flight of steps: double moulded panel doors with fanlight,
framed by panelled Corinthian pilasters with plain frieze and moulded triangular
pediment; over is weathered date plaque. To either side full height window with
coved reveal and round head with console keystone. Full width pediment,
entablature with bracketed cornice. Right hand return wall of 5 bays
articulated by Tuscan pilasters. Same fenestration as front. At right hand end
is lower single storey 3-bay Sunday School with half hipped slate roof.
Rusticated quoins; moulded ashlar eaves cornice. Similar windows to chapel but
without keystones. Panelled pilaster pedimented doorway. High townscape value.
Interior: Galleried on 3 sides supported on cast iron columns with foliated
capitals and elaborately fretted side braces. Original fittings. Entrance
vestibule has mosiac floor laid in 1924 and staircases to gallery with elaborate
cast iron balustrade. Contains late C17 oak table which once belonged to John
Fawcett, D.D. who founded this church in 1777.
Listing NGR: SD9928227181
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings