History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Handley, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1154 / 53°6'55"N

Longitude: -2.7988 / 2°47'55"W

OS Eastings: 346630

OS Northings: 357880

OS Grid: SJ466578

Mapcode National: GBR 7F.7QNP

Mapcode Global: WH88N.ZYDJ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405146

Location: Handley, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Handley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Handley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tattenhall

Listing Text

SJ 45 NE HANDLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROAD
(East Side)

5/72 Church of All Saints.

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: tower dated 1512, roof dated 1661 but re-used in restoration
of 1853-5 by James Harrison, chancel and vestry of 1891. Ashlar red
sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 3-bay nave, l-bay chancel, 3-stage west
tower, vestry and south porch. 2-centred arched entrance to porch and
rectangular 3-light and pointed 2-light windows in Decorated style in
nave. Chancel has a lancet and 3-light east window with reticulated
tracery. Tower has diagonal buttresses and 4-centred head to west
door under label mould with carved head stops. 3-light west window
breaks bond with carved heads and has a crocketted ogee hood. A
tablet to either side reads:
"Hoc ca' panile f'x'm' e' a' d'ni MCCCCXII t'p'e R'c'i raulinso,
rectoris ac prooibus b'n'facto ribus ejusdem orate."
Above are 2 empty niches. Similar 3-light louvred bell openings and
gargoyles support embattled parapet.
Interior: Good hammerbeam roof to nave, carved brackets carry
inscription RD 1661, JE 1661 and wind-braced purlins. Edges of all
main members picked out in black and white. Narrow chamfered chancel
arch on engaged octagonal columns. Similar but taller arch to tower.
Octagonal font on restored octagonal shaft.
The tower closely resembles that at St Alban's, Tattenhall (q.v.) and
has the same mason's marks.


Listing NGR: SJ4663057880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.