History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Calwich Abbey Temple Flanking Bridges with Gates, Gate Piers and Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ellastone, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9858 / 52°59'8"N

Longitude: -1.8052 / 1°48'18"W

OS Eastings: 413177

OS Northings: 343174

OS Grid: SK131431

Mapcode National: GBR 490.SHP

Mapcode Global: WHCFB.76NW

Plus Code: 9C4WX5PV+8W

Entry Name: Calwich Abbey Temple Flanking Bridges with Gates, Gate Piers and Railings

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405736

Location: Ellastone, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE6

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Ellastone

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Ellastone St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stanton

Description

SK 14 SW ELLASTONE C.P. CALWICH PARK

5/50 Calwich Abbey Temple
flanking bridges with
10/1/53 gates, gate piers and
railings

- II*

Summer house and fishing lodge, bridges, gates, gate piers and railings.
Dated 1797. Ashlar with copper covered dome. Cast iron bridges.
Square single cell plan. 1 storey; tetrastyle Doric portico with
oval plaque within pediment inscribed "HOC / ET PISCATORIBUS /
SACRUM / EXSTRUXIT J. GRANVILLE / DEDICAVITQE / AMAENISSIMO SUO /
DOVE 1797." Central 6 panelled door flanked by round-headed niches;
moulded eaves cornice capped at each corner by ball ornaments on square
section acroteria, weather vane with fish motif on. top of dome; cast
iron hump-back bridges to left and right, spanning the two arms of a
former mill race, with gates and rusticated gate piers to each outer
end and railings to the sides. The 3 other elevations have glazing
bar sashes with small horns and segmental fan lights, the SW elevation
has steps leading down to the water. An idyllic pastoral landscape
feature in the shape of a small classical temple; Portico roofless at
time of re-survey (September 1984).


Listing NGR: SK1317743174

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.