History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II Listed Building in Himley, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5177 / 52°31'3"N

Longitude: -2.1739 / 2°10'26"W

OS Eastings: 388296

OS Northings: 291109

OS Grid: SO882911

Mapcode National: GBR 42B.9V

Mapcode Global: VH913.8ZL8

Plus Code: 9C4VGR9G+3C

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 27 June 1963

Last Amended: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405806

Location: Himley, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DY3

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Himley

Built-Up Area: Himley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Himley St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Himley

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/12/2019

SO 89 SE
5/55

HIMLEY C.P.
DUDLEY ROAD (north side)
Church of St Michael and All Angels

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Michael. Previously listed as Church of St Michael Arch Angel)

27.6.63

GV
II

Parish church. Dated 1764. Cement rendered and lined as ashlar; plain tile roof with coped verges. West tower, two-bay nave, single-bay chancel, south-east vestry. Simple classical building; most of the windows have keyed semi-circular arches springing from imposts and, leaded lights.

West tower of stages marked by bands, with coved parapet band and plain parapet. West door with raised key. Windows of the upper two stages are louvred. Datestone over west window of second stage.

Nave and chancel: pilaster strips at the corners and at division of nave and chancel. Canted east window projection with hipped roof; pedimented gable to vestry.

Interior. Panelled and gracefully curved west gallery on slim iron columns. It is reached by a staircase with stick balusters.

Fittings. C19 stone font with hexagonal basin on cylindrical pedestal with stiff leaf capital. C18 wooden pulpit, square with panelled sides. Brass angel lectern of 1894. Simple classical rood screen, and communion rail, both with turned balusters.

Monument. Viscountess Ednam, 1930, by Sir W. Reid Dick; statue of a young woman carrying a child on her shoulder.

Stained glass. East window depicting Jesus the good shepherd, after 1903.

Listing NGR: SO8829691109

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.