History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harrock Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wrightington, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6062 / 53°36'22"N

Longitude: -2.7454 / 2°44'43"W

OS Eastings: 350772

OS Northings: 412440

OS Grid: SD507124

Mapcode National: GBR 9V8R.F0

Mapcode Global: WH86C.SMT8

Entry Name: Harrock Hall

Listing Date: 19 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357859

Location: Wrightington, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN6

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Wrightington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Douglas-in-Parbold Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Appley Bridge

Listing Text

WRIGHTINGTON
SD 5L SW
5/83 Harrock Hall
19-11-1951
GV II*

House. Early C17. Extended early and mid C19, probably replacing earlier
work, and restored c1980. Sandstone ashlar with slate roof. A symmetrical
composition of 2 storeys. Centre of house has rebated and ovolo-moulded
mullioned windows with transoms, and 2 drip courses. In the centre is a
2-storey canted bay window which has cross windows on 3 sides and a
single light on each return wall. To the left there is one bay with 5-
light windows. To its left a 2-storey porch projects forwards. This has a
3-light window on the 1st floor and an outer doorway with round head and
moulded imposts. The inner doorway has a Tudor arch. Projecting slightly
at the left is an early C19 bay which has chamfered quoins, 2 drip
courses, and tripartite sashed windows with Gothick glazing. To the right
of the bay window the house exactly mirrors the left-hand half, but the
tooling of the stonework suggests that it is a copy, possibly of the mid
C19. Above a cornice is a parapet, with rounded battlements over the
outer bays and over the central bay window. Interior: not accessible at
time of survey (April 1987), but recorded by RCHM in 1977 before
restoration. They noted plastered beams in the hall with quarter-round
mouldings, and a C19 stair which had cusped cast-iron arches set into
timber balusters.


Listing NGR: SD5077212440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.