History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn 100 Metres South East of Badley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Badley, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1621 / 52°9'43"N

Longitude: 1.0117 / 1°0'42"E

OS Eastings: 606086

OS Northings: 255809

OS Grid: TM060558

Mapcode National: GBR SK0.JKQ

Mapcode Global: VHKDP.HX6F

Entry Name: Barn 100 Metres South East of Badley Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406121

Location: Badley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Badley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

BADLEY
TM 05 NE

1/5 Barn 100m south-east of
Badley Hall

9.12.55 II*

Barn, C15 or early C16. In two 4-bay sections, with a single-bay stable added
to the west end in C17. Timber-framed and weatherboarded; the eastern 4 bays
stand upon a tall and massive plinth of flint rubble with dressings mainly of
red brick. Roof partly of corrugated iron and partly of asbestos sheeting;
formerly thatched. 3 bays from each original end are narrow entrance bays
having boarded barn doors on each side (some missing). A large, very well
built and unusually complete barn. Very fine queenpost roof of the north-east
Suffolk School; arch-braced cambered tie-beams, jowled queenposts with arch-
bracing up to heavy square-set purlins and to cambered square collars. In C17
or early C18, intermediate arch-braced trusses were inserted in each main bay,
reversed assembly being used; the workmanship is high, and superficially
appears to be original. High quality close-studwork, with tension wind-bracing
at the eastern-most bay, and arch-bracing at the west; despite this difference
the two sections must be of similar dates. The flint walling has inclusions
of brick rubble and one quoin of dressed limestone; some original plaster
finished with random indentations still adheres to the flintwork, and probably
covered flint and timber-framing alike until C18/C19 when much repair was
done. The barn stands upon a scheduled site (Ancient Monument No.135),
believed to be of a Chantry endowed by Edmund Alcock (d.1491) of Badley Hall.
However, documentary evidence suggests that the Chantry was attached to nearby
St. Mary's Church.


Listing NGR: TM0608655809

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.