History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Snape, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1806 / 52°10'50"N

Longitude: 1.5019 / 1°30'6"E

OS Eastings: 639503

OS Northings: 259374

OS Grid: TM395593

Mapcode National: GBR XQS.8JT

Mapcode Global: VHM7V.ZGB6

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406241

Location: Snape, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Snape

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Snape St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Snape

Listing Text

TM 35 NE SNAPE FARNHAM ROAD (north side)

4/113 Church of St John the
7.12.66 Baptist

- II*


Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Mainly C15 with some
earlier work in nave; considerably restored C19 and early C20. Random flint
with stone dressings, knapped flint to porch and plinth of tower; pantiled
roof with plaintiles to porch. C15 west tower: square, 4 stages, with string
course at each stage; 3 stage diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet with
flushwork decoration and carved stonework above; gargoyles to base of parapet
at centre of east and west faces; mutilated bell-chamber openings to each
face; 3-light C15 west window, restored. South nave wall with one 2-light
and 2 identical 3-light C15 windows, all partially restored; north nave wall
with 3 windows with Y tracery, probably late C13/early C14, blocked north
doorway. Good C15 south porch: front with quatrefoil flushwork to plinth and
one tier of flushwork panels; arched doorway with carved shields to spandrels;
above is an empty ogee-headed niche, a trail-traceried band and red brick gable
with stone coping. Nave doorway with fleurons to jambs, arch and spandrels;
within the spandrels are carved dragons; plank door with sanctuary knocker.
North and south chancel with largely original one-light and 2-light C15 windows
with cinquefoil-headed lights and square hoodmoulds; blocked Priest's doorway
to south chancel; east end of chancel rebuilt 1920, 3-light east window with
intersected tracery. Arch-braced roof to nave, plastered over; chancel re-
roofed 1920. Fine octogonal font, circa 1500, well carved faces with carvings
also to stem and underside of bowl, base with quatrefoil frieze and inscription
around the top. North nave wall with arched entrance to roof loft and
original stairs; simple piscina in south sanctuary wall; arched recess in
north chancel wall, possibly once for an Easter Sepulchre; modern pulpit and
benches, west gallery of 1845. In 1982 part of a C13 painted consecration
cross was uncovered on the south nave wall. Graded II* for surviving medieval
work.


Listing NGR: TM3950359374

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.