This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0126 / 51°0'45"N
Longitude: 0.8899 / 0°53'23"E
OS Eastings: 602812
OS Northings: 127665
OS Grid: TR028276
Mapcode National: GBR SZS.HSF
Mapcode Global: FRA D6RF.NJ3
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 9 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1231321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175535
Location: Ivychurch, Shepway, Kent, TN29
Civil Parish: Ivychurch
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 028 277
B2070 (north east side)
Church of St George
Parish church. C13, late C14 and C15, restored 1888-1890 by R.T. Blomfield and in late C20. Tower roughly coursed stone, rest mixed roughly coursed stone and flint. Gable of north aisle weatherboarded. Nave roof leaded, north aisle has plain tile roof, rest not visible. West tower, continuous nave and chancel with continuous north and south aisles and chapels. South porch with parvis chamber.
West tower: C15. Three stages on moulded plinth, with battlements above a moulded string. Integral angle buttresses. Polygonal north east stair turret, also with moulded string, but plain-coped and taller than tower. Two-light belfry windows with hoodmoulds; those to north and east with trefoil-headed lights and square heads, those to west and south with quatrefoil between vertical bars. Small hollow-chamfered rectangular light to north and south of second stage. C14 west window, probably re-set (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980), with cusped intersecting tracery, cavetto mullions, moulded architrave, and hoodmould. Two-centred arched west door with moulded architrave and square-topped quatrefoiled spandrels springing from attached columns with moulded capitals and bases. Hoodmould.
Nave: clerestory of four blocked quatrefoiled lights to north and south. South aisle: Late C14. On moulded plinth with moulded string and plain parapet. Three buttresses. Lean-to roof. No west window, three south windows, two to west and one to east of porch; one C19, one late C14, restored, of two trefoil-headed lights with sexfoil and hoodmould, and one, restored, three-lights, traceried, with cambered head.
South porch:C14. Integral with south aisle, but taller. On moulded plinth with string and battlements. Small hollow-chamfered rectangular lights to parvis chamber to east, west and south. Diagonal buttresses. Rounded, battlemented north west stair turret in angle with nave. Chamfered two-centred arched doorway with hoodmould. Inner doorway with two centred arch, roll-and-fillet moulding and hoodmould. Medieval backing to door, Low stone seats along east and west walls. Rendered quadripartite vault with exposed hollow-chamfered stone ribs springing from moulded corner capitals.
South Chapel: Late C14, possibly with C13 origins. No plinth. Moulded string. Parapet continuous with that of south aisle. Pilaster buttress adjacent to south aisle buttress, two further south buttresses and south east angle buttress. Lean-to roof. Three south windows, two C19 in a C14 style and one of two lights with a sexfoil. Untraceried east window of two trefoil-headed lights with cambered head and hoodmould.
Chancel: late C14 with C13 origins. No plinth. Gabled. Two buttresses. Clerestorey with two south windows of two trefoil-headed lights and three quatrefoiled north lights. Two-centred arched east window of five narrow uncusped cavetto-moulded lights with hoodmould.
North Chapel: late C14 with C13 origins. High plinth slightly overlapping chancel and stepped down under window. Blocked C15 west window of five stepped trefoil-headed lights with tracery above, cambered head and hoodmould. North elevation of north chapel and north aisle: Continuous. Wall battered towards base. Moulded plinth resumes to west of north door. North east angle buttress and six evenly-spaced north buttresses. Moulded string and continuous stone-coped parapet. Lean-to roof to chapel, double pitched, gabled roof to aisle. Circular north west stair turret, also on plinth, with string and stone-coped parapet, but taller than aisle. Chamfered doorway leads from it onto aisle roof. Six windows, evenly spaced between buttresses: four to east and two to west of north door, with variety of tracery patterns, two restored in C19, all with hoodmoulds. Two-centred arched north door, also between buttresses, with moulded architrave and hoodmould. Finely carved C14 west window of three trefoil-headed lights with cascade of mouchettes above, and hoodmould.
Interior: structure: continuous late C14 seven bay north and south arcades to nave and chancel, with pointed arches of two hollow-chamfered orders and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases.Tall C15 moulded tower arch with one attached column either side with moulded capitals and bases. Moulded C13 semi-circular column base abutting east wall of chancel towards north side. Low stone seat, possibly base of an earlier wall along part of south wall of south chapel. Three-centred arched moulded stone doorway with broach stops to tower stair turret. Moulded elliptical arched stone doorway to north aisle stair turret. Chamfered doorway to parvis chamber stairs with broach stops and pointed arched head. Remains of piscina with cusped ogee head in south wall of south chapel. Pointed arched stoup to south door with cushion stops and very deep quatrefoiled basin with sunk panel to outer face.
Roof: king-and-queen-post roof to nave; five king-posts with moulded capitals and bases and heavy upward braces. Broad ridge-piece. Single continuous purlin to each side. Queen-posts with braces to purlin and, elongated, to rafter above, forming distorted arch with the king-post braces Chamfered tie-beams with braced pendant posts. Unusual for Kent. King-and-queen-strut roof to chancel with four short heavily braced, rebated, broach-stopped king-posts and broad chamfered ridge-piece. Two tiers of continuous purlins sandwiched, over tie-beams, between outer and inner rafters. Inner rafters stop short of the ends of the tie-beams and are pegged at tops into undersides of the braces from king posts to outer rafters. Heavy cambered, slightly moulded tie-beams braced to short pendant posts. Very short curved queen-struts between tie-beams and inner rafters. Also unusual for Kent and possibly not medieval.
South aisle and chapel and north chapel have staggered butt purlins, some moulded. One principal rafter in south aisle painter: 1703 IS RR C W . North aisle roof plastered.
Fittings: octagonal font with moulded plinth on two octagonal steps, probably late C14 or C15. Two L-shaped stalls with two-light blind-traceried panels, shafted arms to seats, and mortices for screens on backs of seats. C15 traceried screens to north and south of third bay from east. Altar rails with late C17 or C18 turned balusters and C20 rail. Screen to base of tower arch dated 1686 with spiked top rail and turned balusters above boarded base. C18 pulpit with fielded panels. Late C18 screens to north aisle. Central bay of chancel has panelled north and south screens with chinoiserie gates said to have come from the Church of St. Clement, Old Romney (Miss. A. Roper, The Church of St. Clement, Old Romney, 1983). Royal Arms 1775 over north door. Eight oval text boards to nave. Decalogue, Creed and Lord's Prayer on four boards to east end. C18 panelled funeral hudd. Fragments of stained glass in east window of south chapel. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TR0214428694
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings