History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stratford St. Andrew, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1891 / 52°11'20"N

Longitude: 1.4482 / 1°26'53"E

OS Eastings: 635791

OS Northings: 260149

OS Grid: TM357601

Mapcode National: GBR XQJ.LZF

Mapcode Global: VHM7V.17ZN

Plus Code: 9F435CQX+M7

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406552

Location: Stratford St. Andrew, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stratford St. Andrew

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Farnham St Mary with Stratford St Andrew St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Snape

Description

TM 36 SE STRATFORD ST. ANDREW HALL ROAD

2/135 Church of St. Andrew
7.12.66

GV II*

Parish church. Nave and chancel (under one roof), west tower, north porch, north
vestry. Mainly random flint with stone dressings, brick porch; plaintiled roofs.
C15 tower: 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west face only, crenellated parapet below
which is a string course with gargoyles and further carved heads at the corners;
panelled fluskwork decoration to parapet and buttresses; bell-chamber openings
with missing tracery; 2-light west window, restored. Nave and chancel possibly
C12: one blocked C12 window to south nave wall, blocked C13 lancet to north nave
wall; existing windows are mid-late C19 replacements in Decorated style. C16 red
brick porch, restored: empty niche above entrance, parapet with stone copings,
blocked side openings with 4-centre arches, roof with battlemented and moulded
wallplate. Octagonal font, bowl possibly C13 with 2 shallow blank arches to each
face; C17 pulpit with arabesque work carving; angle piscina in north sanctuary wall,
with C12 and C13 work. Restoration of 1870 included a new set of nave benches,
coloured floor tiles and the addition of the vestry. Graded II* for surviving
medieval fabric.


Listing NGR: TM3579160149

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.