This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9047 / 50°54'16"N
Longitude: 0.4764 / 0°28'35"E
OS Eastings: 574215
OS Northings: 114610
OS Grid: TQ742146
Mapcode National: GBR PWM.78T
Mapcode Global: FRA C6WQ.3G7
Plus Code: 9F22WF3G+VH
Entry Name: Powdermill House Powdermill Hotel Formerly Listed As Powdermill House
Listing Date: 13 May 1987
Last Amended: 14 December 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1231456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292243
Location: Battle, Rother, East Sussex, TN33
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Battle
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Battle St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 71 SW
(Formerly listed as:
House at gunpowder works, now hotel. c1794, converted to hotel c1980. Painted brick with brick external stacks and tiled hipped roof.
PLAN: Complex L-shaped plan with a central entrance stair hall linking double-depth ranges either side, the right-hand one extends back with single-storey ranges (former process buildings) within re-entrant.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 2:1:3 fenestration to ground floor of front with hipped block to left of wider central block, linked by one-window porch to right-hand block. Mid-Georgian style. Near symmetrical front has 6/6-pane sash over parapeted central entrance with flat roof, a panelled door with margin lights under a deep canopy on columns, 6/9-pane ground-floor and 6/6-pane first-floor hornless sashes in flush frames, with an oculus on the first floor to the left of the central window. Left-hand side range has a single window facing front. Right-hand wing extends back, with 4 windows to rear of late-C20 extension; a series of narrow single-storey ranges with hipped roofs extend out from both sides at the rear.
INTERIOR: Altered, the hall contains a stair with stick balusters.
HISTORY: The Battle gunpowder mill operated from the late C17 until 1876, the middle of three on the river Asten.
Powdermill House, situated below the mill dam, was rebuilt after an explosion in 1796. It contained the proprietor's residence and various process buildings, which probably included the single-storey ranges at the rear. The apparent concentration of processes in one large structure is unique in the gunpowder industry, the buildings of which were usually highly dispersed in single-process structures. It is not clear how the house is related to the water-powered activities of the works which would have been located below the mill pond.
(Blackman, H, 'The Story of the Old Gunpowder Works at Battle', Sussex Archaeological Collections, vol 4, pp 109-22, 1923; Crocker, G, Gunpowder Mills Gazetteer, 1988)
Listing NGR: TQ7421514610
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings