This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2276 / 53°13'39"N
Longitude: -2.3071 / 2°18'25"W
OS Eastings: 379596
OS Northings: 370110
OS Grid: SJ795701
Mapcode National: GBR 003.RHR
Mapcode Global: WH99N.J4LG
Entry Name: Terra Nova School
Listing Date: 6 June 1952
Last Amended: 12 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1231670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 406846
Location: Twemlow, Cheshire East, CW4
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Twemlow
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Goostrey St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Chester
TWEMLOW C.P. JODRELL BANK
SJ 77 SE
2/53 Terra Nova School
(Formerly listed as
6.6.52 Jodrell Hall)
Mansion, now a school, 1779 (Pevsner) with additions 1885. (Porch
rainwater head) by Douglas and later alterations. Red brick in
Flemish Bond, with stone dressing and slate roof. 3 storeys and
attic, 5 bays with 3 storey, 3 bay wing north and 2 storey and attic 3
bay wing (by Douglas) south. Stone plinth and first floor sill band.
Three centre bays project slightly and are surmounted by a gable
pediment which uses the same moulding as the eaves cornice. Recessed
sashes with stone sills, flat arches and glazing bars. Oculus, with
stone surround, in the tympanum of the pediment. Projecting brick
porch with ovolo moulded semicircular stone archivolt, with keystone
and flanking reeded stone pilasters. The pilasters continue upwards
passing a dentil cornice and brick parapet wall, with stone coping, to
support ball finials. The porch has a nine-panel semi-circular headed
outer door, on strap hinges, and a half glazed nine-panel internal
door with semi-circular headed 3-mullion fanlight. The interior of
the porch has dado panelling and the side walls stone ovolo moulded
cross windows with leaded glazing. There is a brick parapet wall
above the eaves cornice and stone copings to parapet and gables.
Gable-end stacks. The south wing is contemporary to the porch having
stone cross windows, with leaded glazing, and shaped gables to the
centre and south gable-end. The late C18 north wing has recessed
sashes and detailing similar to the main building.
Interior: Entrance Hall has stone geometrical staircase with shaped
step ends, turned oak balusters and very heavy moulded bottom newel.
The Dining Room has panelled walls, panelled beams and the ceiling
formed into panels by moulded wooden beads. There are panelled
shutters to windows, some with carving, and many six panel doors. At
first floor level there is a screen of Doric columns and pilasters
supporting a moulded beam, and the spaces between the columns are
filled with balusters which match the staircase. On the Landing a
semi-circular headed niche is flanked by six-panel doors with panelled
linings, and there are matching doors to north and south ends of the
Listing NGR: SJ7959670110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings