This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7842 / 54°47'3"N
Longitude: -1.3573 / 1°21'26"W
OS Eastings: 441428
OS Northings: 543445
OS Grid: NZ414434
Mapcode National: GBR LFY3.YS
Mapcode Global: WHD5Z.30XP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1231813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407053
Location: Easington Village, County Durham, SR8
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Easington Village
Built-Up Area: Easington
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Easington
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 44 SW EASINGTON HALL WALKS
7/11 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Romanesque tower, remainder of church early C13. Extensive
restoration in 1853 by P.C. Hardwick. Sandstone and limestone rubble masonry.
Steeply-pitched green slate roof. Square west tower, aisled nave, chancel and
north chapel. Long, low proportions.
4-stage west tower defined by bands. Fragment of Cl0-11 grave slab in base of
west wall. Romanesque masonry up to and including corbel table. 2 round-arched
openings and later battlemented parapet. 2 massive C14 diagonal buttresses.
Pointed doorway of 1853 in south wall.
West ends of aisles have single lancets and buttresses added to support tower
arch. C19 aisle windows, mainly in Perpendicular style but some Geometrical, have
original rear-arches; similar C19 windows in chancel and 5 stepped lancets at east
end with quatrefoil above. East aisle return has original 2-light window with
Geometrical tracery. Nave clerestory has 4 small, irregularly-spaced lancets. North
aisle and clerestory similar.
Chancel has double-chamfered plinth and, except for north wall, was rebuilt in 1853
using original materials. 3 bays divided by pilaster buttresses; east end has
clasping buttresses. South wall has 2-light low-side window with Y-tracery under
pointed hoodmould. 2-bay north chapel has 2-light lancets with Y-tracery.
Interior: early Romanesque double-chamfered tower arch. Double-chamfered pointed
nave arcades with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Keeled east and west responds.
3 columns alternating round and octagonal, order reversed between north and south
aisles. Bases and capitals follow plan of columns: octagonal columns have
waterholding bases and capitals with nailhead decoration; 2 of the round columns
have leafy capitals. Mid C19 arch-braced crown-post roof has embattled tie-beams.
2 steps up to wide double-chamfered chancel arch on semi-octagonal moulded corbels.
East end has detached shafts of Frosterly marble between lancets; flanking blank
niches. Barrelled chancel roof.
Furnishings: 48 mid C17 pew ends with deep relief carving and poppyheads in the
style of Bishop Cosin's craftsmen. Chancel screen has some mid C17 traceried
panelling. Reredos largely mid C17 has carved panels and a crocketed canopy. C19
font on probably medieval moulded base and stepped round plinth.
Monuments: Well-preserved C14 recumbent female effigy in Frosterly marble. Late
C13 recumbent freestone effigy of a knight in armour with a shield showing 3
popinjays, possibly Marmaduke Fitz Galfrid of Horden.
(Rev. H.E. Savage, "Easington Church", Archaeologia Aeliana, New Series, Vol XVll
Listing NGR: NZ4142843444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings