This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3152 / 53°18'54"N
Longitude: -2.0876 / 2°5'15"W
OS Eastings: 394261
OS Northings: 379805
OS Grid: SJ942798
Mapcode National: GBR FZV3.VB
Mapcode Global: WHBB9.XX2X
Entry Name: Shrigley Hall Hotel and Country Club
Listing Date: 25 July 1952
Last Amended: 17 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407440
Location: Pott Shrigley, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Pott Shrigley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Pott Shrigley St Christopher
Church of England Diocese: Chester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on10/06/2014
SJ 97 NW
POTT SHRIGLEY C.P.
SHRIGLEY ROAD (North Side)
Shrigley Hall Hotel and Country Club
(Formerly listed as Salesian Missionary College, previously listed as Shrigley Hall)
Former mansion now hotel and country club: C.1825 by Thomas Emett
Senior of Preston for Sir William Turner. Ashlar brown sandstone with
graded slate and partly felted roof. 2-storey, symmetrical, 11-bay
front, with end and 3 centre bays breaking slightly forward. Centre
has pediment and Ionic tetrastyle porch on 5 steps. Plinth band,
plain frieze and modillion cornice. Mid C20 attic storey but
balustrating over end bays is the remains of original treatment.
Windows, sashes with glazing bars in plain reveals, except end bays
which are tripartite with panelled pilasters and segmental tympana.
Doorway has carved architrave, 6-panelled door and ornamental
rectangular fanlight. Medallion in pediment, of lion and cross.
Rubble wings to rear, 3 storey to left and 2 storey to right, both
with 16-pane sashes and plain doorcases.
Interior: Hall. Entry through 2, 6-panelled oak doors, semi-circular
headed niches and doorways with moulded soffits to left and right.
Staircase removed and false ceiling hides Ionic capitals and ceiling
cornice, and cuts off upper dome. 3 bay room to right of hall has
original ceiling. Acanthus border, with large rectangular panel with
central band of swags. Cornucopiae and elegant tracery in corners and
central elliptical medallion of cornucopiae and acanthus. 3-bay room
to left of hall has 4, 6-panelled walnut doors with moulded panels and
raised fields. Running swag frieze, intertwined foliage soffit and
ovolo cornice. Ceiling cornice of acanthus and intertwined foliage.
Black and green-veined chimney breast on fluted circular columns.
Left end bay room: Twisted vine frieze below modillion cornice with
acanthus and vine motifs in circular central panel. End of room,
divided by wooden Corinthian pilasters, leads to 2-storey well behind,
under circular skylight, and containing Corinthian columns and
pilasters. It now contains the staircase. Dome has been converted
into a library. Entrance between composite order columns supporting a
foliate frieze. Vault contains twisted vine tracery on ropework
dividing moulded panels with a border of urns and tracery around
circular light. Plasterwork in vault, mid C19, may belong to rebuild
of vault implied by external masonry.
Listing NGR: SJ9426179805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings