This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.7363 / 54°44'10"N
Longitude: -2.1793 / 2°10'45"W
OS Eastings: 388553
OS Northings: 537937
OS Grid: NY885379
Mapcode National: GBR FF6N.ZY
Mapcode Global: WHB3H.H6GY
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407401
Location: Stanhope, County Durham, DL13
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Stanhope
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: St John's Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Durham
STANHOPE ST. JOHN'S CHAPEL
38/258 Church of St. John
31.1.67 the Baptist
Parish church. 1752, on site of medieval chapel; chancel extended 1881-3 by
Ewan Christian. Varied stone rubble with ashlar dressings;ashlar west front
and tower; chamfered plinth, and quoins. Roof of graduated Lakeland slates
with stone gable copings. West tower; galleried nave; chancel with north vestry.
3-stage tower, the first stage quoined and the third with angle pilasters, has
6-panelled double west door, and fanlight with radial glazing bars, in round-
headed surround with key and impost blocks. Similar surrounds to windows in
second stage below cornice and paired, round-headed bell openings, with painted
round clock set on west pair. Side elevations have square-headed raised stone
surrounds to ground-floor windows, and round-headed surrounds with key and
impost blocks to gallery windows. Chancel has similar windows and round-headed
south door. Most windows have broad glazing bars; (pictorial glass in some
gallery windows and in east window). Gallery floor-level band. Pyramidal
tower roof has slightly swept eaves; east stone cross finial. Wide stone
gutter at ground level.
Interior: painted plaster above rough-rendered dado; tooled ashlar dressings.
Plaster nave ceiling with central coved section between columns; wood-panelled
barrel-vaulted chancel. Gallery removed. 2 tall Tuscan columns in each aisle
have tooled lower sections on chamfered plinths; round, keyed chancel arch on
impost blocks and pilasters; similar treatment to inner west door and blocked
window above. South chancel medallion glass in memory of Rev. James Green,
1867, signed Ox and Son, London in Maltese cross. Pulpit had fielded panels
and dentilled cornice on moulded stone base. Early C19 chamber organ, by
Nicholson of Newcastle. Memorials include whitemarble scroll on black mount
to members of Robson family, signed G. Maile and Son, Euston Road, London;
brass in Gothic frame, dated 1912, to Lieutenant John Brumwell, 1785-1812, who
died in the Peninsular War. C18 painted creed and commandment panels flank
chancel arch, and pater board above.
Listing NGR: NY8855337937
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings