History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Westernhope Old (Lead) Mine Lodging Shop and Stable on South Bank of West Grain

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanhope, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7054 / 54°42'19"N

Longitude: -2.1261 / 2°7'33"W

OS Eastings: 391971

OS Northings: 534496

OS Grid: NY919344

Mapcode National: GBR FGL1.H0

Mapcode Global: WHB3J.9ZTM

Entry Name: Westernhope Old (Lead) Mine Lodging Shop and Stable on South Bank of West Grain

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232303

English Heritage Legacy ID: 407647

Location: Stanhope, County Durham, DL13

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanhope

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Eastgate

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Saint Johns Chapel

Listing Text

STANHOPE WESTERNHOPE MOOR

NY 93 SW NY 919345 Westernhope Old
(Lead) Mine Lodging
Shop and stable on
south bank of
West Grain
GV II
Lodging shop with stable. Probably early C18. Thin courses of squared
sandstone; stone-flagged roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Thin stone lintels over 2
empty doors; moulded empty wood window, with central diagonal iron bar, above
second door. Left end chimney. Left return gable has small square attic
light at right; prominent throughstones in gable peak support chimney. Rear
bank entry to first floor is partly blocked. Interior: left door probably to
stable, divided from living accommodation by stone wall; right part has 5
square recesses in rear wall opposite door; stone winder stair in front right
corner; first floor has fireplace at left end with full-height stone flag
cheeks flanking deep lintel with segmental head under stone flue. Roof has
bolted collared trusses, with 2 levels of substantial purlins, and ridge piece
on crossed principals. Left extension, probably former smithy, a ruin. Empty
and derelict at time of survey. Included for historical interest as survival
of example of lead-mining conditions, with water from nearby level running
past front of building.

Historical note: Westernhope mines were worked by the Blackett family from
the early C18 to 1861; (information from Ian Forbes, Durham County Council).


Listing NGR: NY9197134496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.