History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tennis Court at Combe Abbey

A Grade II* Listed Building in Combe Fields, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4148 / 52°24'53"N

Longitude: -1.4077 / 1°24'27"W

OS Eastings: 440381

OS Northings: 279810

OS Grid: SP403798

Mapcode National: GBR 6M4.QWF

Mapcode Global: VHBX0.KK5N

Entry Name: Tennis Court at Combe Abbey

Listing Date: 24 July 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1233658

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409211

Location: Combe Fields, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV3

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

Civil Parish: Combe Fields

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Binley St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Ansty

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/10/2012


SP47NW
1641-0/6/10003
24/07/92


COMBE FIELDS
COMBE ABBEY
Tennis Court at Combe Abbey


GV
II*


Former tennis court. c1820 or possibly earlier C19. Red brick (one end wall rendered) with Welsh slate hipped roof. High single storey. Later entrance doors in rendered wall with C20 sliding doors on long wall to left. On both long walls are recessed blank panels with gauged brick flat arches. Above running full length are horizontal sliding sash windows, with glazing bars, cantilevered out and forming galleries. Blocked windows and C20door on rear wall.
INTERIOR: The walls are lined in slate, possibly from Lord Penrhyn's quarry at Penrhyn, where Benjamin Wyatt was agent. Samuel Wyatt used slate in this way, which he called 'patent slating'. It is therefore thought that the Wyatts might have designed this tennis court. The penthouses have been demolished but the tambour remains. Roof has C20 suspended ceiling but is reported as being of queen-post type, cross-strutted, and of pine. A plan of 1811 shows a rectangular structure on this site though with different proportions. Noel and Clarke state that it was completed about 1820 and that it was one of the first glazed in England.


Listing NGR: SP4038079808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.