This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4112 / 52°24'40"N
Longitude: -1.3411 / 1°20'28"W
OS Eastings: 444912
OS Northings: 279453
OS Grid: SP449794
Mapcode National: GBR 7NK.XCS
Mapcode Global: VHCTH.PNVD
Plus Code: 9C4WCM65+FG
Entry Name: Town Thorns
Listing Date: 12 May 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233789
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409224
Location: Easenhall, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Easenhall
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Harborough Magna All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
The following Buildings shall be added:-
SP 47 NW -
6/10013 Town Thorns
Country house, now office. 1873 by Alfred Waterhouse for Washington
Jackson. Red brick with stone dressings. Roof behind parapet. Brick
axial stacks with cornices. PLAN: Square double depth plan, the tower
and service wing on the east side demolished. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys 2:1:2 bay north front with rusticated quoins,
modillion cornice and parapet with ball finials; centre bay pilastered
and with pediment; ground floor large stone port-cochere with pairs
of Tuscan columns flanked by canted bay windows; first floor string
courses; moulded stone architraves to first and second floor windows,
first floor with moulded cornices, second floor with shouldered round
arches. Sash windows with margin panes. S elevation 2:1:2 bays,
projecting bowed bay at centre with Tuscan columns to stone ground
floor and pediments to flanking ground floor windows. 1:2:1 west
elevation, projecting bays left and right with 2-storey canted bays.
East elevation 3-storeybawon left; plain on right where service wing
was attached. INTERIOR: Largely intact features including panelled en-
trance hall, open-well open-string staircase with elaborate newel on
3-tier curtail and lantern above. Ornate plaster cornices and original
joinery including panelled doors and overdoors.
NOTE: The Town Thorns estate was originally surveyed by Waterhouse for
Edward Cropper, but the 1873 commission was for the American,
SOURCE: C Cunningham, Alfred Waterhouse 1830-1905, Biography of a
Listing NGR: SP4491279453
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings