This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2835 / 53°17'0"N
Longitude: -0.8279 / 0°49'40"W
OS Eastings: 478238
OS Northings: 376916
OS Grid: SK782769
Mapcode National: GBR QZNG.KP
Mapcode Global: WHFGJ.7QZP
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409490
Location: Stokeham, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: Stokeham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stokeham
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 77 NE STOKEHAM MAIN STREET
1/68 Church of
Parish church. C13, C15, c1700, restored 1928. Coursed rubble
with some render. Slate roof with coped east and west gables.
Bellcote with 2 arches under a triangular ashlar head to west
ridge and damaged cross to east ridge. Sinqle external red brick
stack to north. Nave and chancel. The west wall has an arched
and recessed panel containing an arched 2-light C20 Y traceried
window, flanked by single buttresses. The buttressed north wall
has a blocked doorway partially hidden by the stack, to the left
is a single window under a flat arch, a single C13 lancet and
further left a single C13 cusped lancet. All windows have
chamfered surrounds. The east end, on a deep plinth with render
above, has a single C15 arched 3-light window with panel tracery,
cusping, hood mould and head label stops. The south chancel has
a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights and single
quatrefoil with hood mould and remnants of label stops. The
south nave, with evidence of a removed 3 bay aisle arcade, has 2
c1700 2-liqht windows under flat arches and with single stone
mullions. To the left, set on a plinth, is the 1928 rendered and
gabled porch with single ridge cross, kneeler finials and arched
doorway. There is an inner chamfered arched doorway. Interior.
The north nave has a blocked arched doorway. Over the 2 south
nave windows are remnants of the double chamfered arcade arches.
The chancel has a cusped piscina. There is a C12 tub font. The
furniture is C20. On the north chancel wall is a monument to
George Brown, 1784, and a painted prayer board. There are
several C18 floor slabs. In the nave is a C16 oak chest.
Listing NGR: SK7823876916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings