History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Slough Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0641 / 52°3'50"N

Longitude: 0.8282 / 0°49'41"E

OS Eastings: 593959

OS Northings: 244412

OS Grid: TL939444

Mapcode National: GBR RJM.D7J

Mapcode Global: VHKF5.9CNZ

Entry Name: Slough Hall

Listing Date: 3 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1234081

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409689

Location: Little Waldingfield, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Little Waldingfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Little Waldingfield St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Great Waldingfield

Listing Text

TL 94 SW

Farmhouse. Late C16/early C17, with later additions. Timber-framed and rendered;
plaintiled roofs; an internal chimney-stack with a plain red brick shaft and corbelled
head. 2 storeys. The facade has 3 gables of different sizes and dates: on the left,
a wide gabled addition of the mid-C19, containing a large kitchen, still with
a very fine contemporary range; in the centre, an original narrower gable to a 2-bay
cross-wing, which, with an associated 2-bay main range, formed the whole of the original
house, on the right, a mid-C20 gabled projection from the main range. All the windows
are mid-C20 small-paned 2-light casements, except those on each side of the entrance,
which have semi-circular arched heads in early C19 style; the door and portico are
also reproductions in the same style. Some plain, good-quality framing is exposed
in the original part of the house; main ceiling-beams with plain chamfer ; roof of
the cross-wing, with principal rafters, clasped purlins and windbraces, was Initially
hipped at the front. The internal chimney-stack has evidence for 4 hearths, 2 on
each floor. The house stands on an isolated site, surrounded by the remains of a large
moat. Deeds, mainly relating to woodlands associated with the farmstead, go back
to 1635, and a reference in a will of 1655 to 'The New House' may perhaps relate to
this building.

Listing NGR: TL9395944412

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.