History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James (Formerly St Mary)

A Grade II Listed Building in Tedstone Wafer, Herefordshire,

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2287 / 52°13'43"N

Longitude: -2.4745 / 2°28'28"W

OS Eastings: 367688

OS Northings: 259055

OS Grid: SO676590

Mapcode National: GBR FX.1LV1

Mapcode Global: VH851.276S

Plus Code: 9C4V6GHG+F6

Entry Name: Church of St James (Formerly St Mary)

Listing Date: 12 April 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1234797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 410841

Location: Tedstone Wafer, County of Herefordshire, HR7

County: Herefordshire,

Civil Parish: Tedstone Wafer

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Whitbourne

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Edwin Loach

Description


815/9/641
12-APR-73

TEDSTONE WAFER
CHURCH OF ST JAMES (FORMERLY ST MARY)
(Formerly listed as:
TEDSTONE WAFER
CHURCH OF ST MARY)

II

Former parish church of 1873 by Edward Haycock junior.

MATERIALS: Rock-faced sandstone, banded red and grey roof tiles, incorporating fishscale tiles.

PLAN: Nave and chancel, with south chapel and porch, north vestry and west bellcote.

EXTERIOR: A former parish church in a picturesque Decorated style with steep roof, to which skylight windows have been added. Nave and chapel have 2-light windows, with 4-light west window and tall 3-light east window. The porch has a cusped entrance arch. The chapel has an east doorway under a shouldered lintel. The gabled bellcote has a single bell.

INTERIOR: Not inspected.

HISTORY: Built as a parish church in 1873 by Edward Haycock junior, replacing an older church. It has been redundant since c1968 and was converted into a house in the 1990s.

SOURCES:
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963, p 299.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Church of St James (former church of St Mary) is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a characterful example of a small C19 Gothic-revival village church.
* It retains its C19 external character and detail after conversion to a dwelling.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.