This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0523 / 53°3'8"N
Longitude: -1.2948 / 1°17'41"W
OS Eastings: 447365
OS Northings: 350787
OS Grid: SK473507
Mapcode National: GBR 7DW.PGM
Mapcode Global: WHDGB.2JPX
Plus Code: 9C5W3P24+W3
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 12 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1234869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 410936
Location: Selston, Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG16
Civil Parish: Selston
Built-Up Area: Brinsley
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Brinsley with Underwood
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 45 SE SELSTON CHURCH LANE
5/69 Church of
St. Michael and
Parish church. 1890. Designed by J. A. Chatwin for Earl Cowper.
C14 style. Ashlar with plain tile roof and shingled spire.
Chamfered plinth, coped gables with kneelers, buttressed. Single
side wall stack. Windows are C14 style lancets with intersecting
tracery. Nave, baptistry, north and south aisles, north
transept, south east tower, chancel, south porch. Nave west end
has 5 light lancet. Baptistry, single bay, has to north, 2
lancets. To west, triple lancet. To south, a lancet. North
aisle, 4 bays, has at west end, double lancet. North side has 4
similar lancets. South aisle has 4 similar lancets. North
transept has 2 diagonal buttresses. To west, door. North gable
has triple lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north a double
lancet. East end has string course, diagonal buttresses and 4
light lancet. Inscribed panel referring to memorial clock, 1919.
Tower, 2 stages, has moulded string courses, diagonal east
buttress, and to west, octagonal turret with crenellated parapet.
Moulded coped parapet with 4 gargoyles. Set back octagonal spire
with 4 lucarnes with double lancets. Weathercock. First stage
has to south, triple lancet. Above, to west, south and east,
cusped double lancet with square headed reveal. Second stage has
4 paired lancets with linked hood moulds. Above each, clock.
South porch has to west, triple lancet, and to south, chamfered
and rebated doorway. Nave arcades, 4 bays, have round piers with
moulded bases and capitals, matching octagonal responds, and
moulded arches. Double purl in principal rafter roof with arch
braces on corbels. Cusped struts and wind braces. WEst end has
archway with late C20 screen and doors. North and south aisles
have at east ends, chamfered arched doorways. South aisle has
shouldered door at west end. Both have lean-to roofs with arch
braces. Moulded and rebated chancel arch has clustered shaft
responds and hood mould. Chancel north side has to west, opening
containing organ in panelled case. East end has sill band and
memorial window by A. Orr, 1920. South side has aumbry and
arched opening to vestry with glazed screen. Scissor braced
roof. Vestry, organ chamber, west end vestibule and porch have
scissor braced roofs. Fittings include panelled stalls and desks
with open bookstands and shaped ends. Plain benches. Traceried
panelled octagonal wooden pulpit on ashlar base. Panelled
octagonal font, C14 style. Monuments include late C19 marble and
slate tablet and crested alabaster tablet to Earl Cowper, 1890.
Listing NGR: SK4736550787
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings