History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ullingswick, County of Herefordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1462 / 52°8'46"N

Longitude: -2.5909 / 2°35'27"W

OS Eastings: 359663

OS Northings: 249937

OS Grid: SO596499

Mapcode National: GBR FR.6V8M

Mapcode Global: VH85C.1BN1

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 9 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1234909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 410974

Location: Ullingswick, County of Herefordshire, HR1

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ullingswick

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ullingswick

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Little Cowarne

Listing Text

ULLINGSWICK

815/16/673 ULLINGSWICK
09-JUN-67 CHURCH OF ST LUKE

(Formerly listed as:
ULLINGSWICK
PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN))

II*

Parish church of C12 origin, with chancel of c1300, restored in 1856 and 1862-3 by Kempson, with glass by Clayton & Bell.

MATERIALS: Local rubble sandstone with freestone dressings, tile roof.

PLAN: Rectangular plan of nave with lower chancel, west belfry, south porch and north vestry.

EXTERIOR: The nave has 2 small round-headed Norman windows offset towards the east end. Other windows are C19, including 3 pairs of cusped windows in the north wall, one similar pair in the south wall, and 2-light south-east window with mullion carried up to the apex of the arch. Below the central north window is a blocked, possibly Norman, doorway. The wider, stepped south doorway is mainly C19, although the lower courses appear to be medieval, with continuous chamfer to the inner order. The porch has a similar pointed entrance. A lancet window is in the west wall, which appears to be C19 rebuild with battered base. The pretty bellcote is timber-framed with louvres and quatrefoil sound holes, and has a pyramid shingled roof. Chancel windows are C19 restorations of c1300 windows. There are 2 south windows and one north window, with Y-tracery. The east window is 3 stepped lights under a super arch, a local type found, for example, at Hereford Cathedral. Cast-iron rainwater heads are said to be of the type designed by Henry Woodyear.

INTERIOR: The restored chancel arch is double-chamfered, of which the inner order is on corbelled shafts with square abaci. The nave has a trussed-rafter roof of 1863, and an arched-brace truss near the west end supporting the turret. The chancel has a canted, boarded ceiling of 1856 with transverse ribs, on moulded cornice. A pointed north priest's doorway and a pointed window now open into the vestry. A blocked Tudor-headed fireplace is in the south wall, probably indicating a former box pew here. Nave walls are plastered, but stonework is exposed in the chancel. The nave has a parquet floor and the chancel a C19 tile floor, including encaustic tiles.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The plain octagonal lead-lined font is probably C15 but its round stem and base may be earlier. Screen and pulpit were installed in 1904-5 and share C16-style details. The polygonal pulpit has intricate openwork, Gothic panels, foliage cornice and linenfold panelling on the pedestal. The tall screen has linenfold panelling on the dado, main lights with intricate tracery, foliage-trail cornice and brattishing. Simple pine pews are 1863. The later choir benches are of oak, with foliage bench ends (possibly also 1904-5). The wooden altar has a front with painted angels in arcaded panels. Either side of the altar are grave slabs laid on the sanctuary floor, one of which has a floriated cross of the C13, but is also engraved 1699, suggesting re-use. In the nave south wall is an unusual memorial to John Hill (d 1590) that is painted on stone: it shows the deceased on a tomb chest with kneeling family members in mourning. In the chancel are windows of the 1860s by Clayton & Bell. The east window is the crucifixion, above which is a small demi-figure of the Virgin Mary and Child, which has been attributed to the C15. North and south windows show the Last Supper (in a window opening into the vestry), Christ's sufferings foretold, the 3 Mary's at the sepulchre, and doubting Thomas. The south-east nave window shows Christ healing the sick, 1862 by Hardman of Birmingham.

HISTORY: Ullingswick is a church of C12 origin, with chancel of c1300. The chancel was restored and re-roofed in 1856. The remainder underwent a major restoration in 1862-63 by F.R. Kempson (1837/8-1923), who appears to have completely rebuilt the west wall, and added the present belfry and porch. The contractor was Niblett & King, the cost £600. The chancel was fitted with stained glass soon afterwards. Screen and pulpit were added in 1904-5, designed by Kempson. The vestry was added in 1945 as a war memorial.

SOURCES:
J. Leonard, Churches of Herefordshire and their Treasures, 2000, p 108.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963, pp 302-3.
C. Dalton, Ullingswick Church, 1987.
Information from Alan Brooks.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The church of St Luke, Ullingswick, is listed Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* For the extent of its early fabric of the C12 in the nave and c1300 in the chancel.
* For its pre C19 fixtures, including the font and an unusual memorial of c1590.
* For the quality of its C19 fixtures, chiefly the stained glass by Clayton & Bell.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

ULLINGSWICK

815/16/673 ULLINGSWICK
09-JUN-67 CHURCH OF ST LUKE

(Formerly listed as:
ULLINGSWICK
PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN))

II*

Parish church of C12 origin, with chancel of c1300, restored in 1856 and 1862-3 by Kempson, with glass by Clayton & Bell.

MATERIALS: Local rubble sandstone with freestone dressings, tile roof.

PLAN: Rectangular plan of nave with lower chancel, west belfry, south porch and north vestry.

EXTERIOR: The nave has 2 small round-headed Norman windows offset towards the east end. Other windows are C19, including 3 pairs of cusped windows in the north wall, one similar pair in the south wall, and 2-light south-east window with mullion carried up to the apex of the arch. Below the central north window is a blocked, possibly Norman, doorway. The wider, stepped south doorway is mainly C19, although the lower courses appear to be medieval, with continuous chamfer to the inner order. The porch has a similar pointed entrance. A lancet window is in the west wall, which appears to be C19 rebuild with battered base. The pretty bellcote is timber-framed with louvres and quatrefoil sound holes, and has a pyramid shingled roof. Chancel windows are C19 restorations of c1300 windows. There are 2 south windows and one north window, with Y-tracery. The east window is 3 stepped lights under a super arch, a local type found, for example, at Hereford Cathedral. Cast-iron rainwater heads are said to be of the type designed by Henry Woodyear.

INTERIOR: The restored chancel arch is double-chamfered, of which the inner order is on corbelled shafts with square abaci. The nave has a trussed-rafter roof of 1863, and an arched-brace truss near the west end supporting the turret. The chancel has a canted, boarded ceiling of 1856 with transverse ribs, on moulded cornice. A pointed north priest's doorway and a pointed window now open into the vestry. A blocked Tudor-headed fireplace is in the south wall, probably indicating a former box pew here. Nave walls are plastered, but stonework is exposed in the chancel. The nave has a parquet floor and the chancel a C19 tile floor, including encaustic tiles.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The plain octagonal lead-lined font is probably C15 but its round stem and base may be earlier. Screen and pulpit were installed in 1904-5 and share C16-style details. The polygonal pulpit has intricate openwork, Gothic panels, foliage cornice and linenfold panelling on the pedestal. The tall screen has linenfold panelling on the dado, main lights with intricate tracery, foliage-trail cornice and brattishing. Simple pine pews are 1863. The later choir benches are of oak, with foliage bench ends (possibly also 1904-5). The wooden altar has a front with painted angels in arcaded panels. Either side of the altar are grave slabs laid on the sanctuary floor, one of which has a floriated cross of the C13, but is also engraved 1699, suggesting re-use. In the nave south wall is an unusual memorial to John Hill (d 1590) that is painted on stone: it shows the deceased on a tomb chest with kneeling family members in mourning. In the chancel are windows of the 1860s by Clayton & Bell. The east window is the crucifixion, above which is a small demi-figure of the Virgin Mary and Child, which has been attributed to the C15. North and south windows show the Last Supper (in a window opening into the vestry), Christ's sufferings foretold, the 3 Mary's at the sepulchre, and doubting Thomas. The south-east nave window shows Christ healing the sick, 1862 by Hardman of Birmingham.

HISTORY: Ullingswick is a church of C12 origin, with chancel of c1300. The chancel was restored and re-roofed in 1856. The remainder underwent a major restoration in 1862-63 by F.R. Kempson (1837/8-1923), who appears to have completely rebuilt the west wall, and added the present belfry and porch. The contractor was Niblett & King, the cost £600. The chancel was fitted with stained glass soon afterwards. Screen and pulpit were added in 1904-5, designed by Kempson. The vestry was added in 1945 as a war memorial.

SOURCES:
J. Leonard, Churches of Herefordshire and their Treasures, 2000, p 108.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963, pp 302-3.
C. Dalton, Ullingswick Church, 1987.
Information from Alan Brooks.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The church of St Luke, Ullingswick, is listed Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* For the extent of its early fabric of the C12 in the nave and c1300 in the chancel.
* For its pre C19 fixtures, including the font and an unusual memorial of c1590.
* For the quality of its C19 fixtures, chiefly the stained glass by Clayton & Bell.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.