This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0611 / 52°3'39"N
Longitude: 0.5382 / 0°32'17"E
OS Eastings: 574102
OS Northings: 243342
OS Grid: TL741433
Mapcode National: GBR PFK.QXB
Mapcode Global: VHJHK.8GX9
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 19 December 1955
Last Amended: 19 December 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425725
Location: Stoke-by-Clare, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CO10
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Stoke-by-Clare
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stoke-by-Clare St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
STOKE BY CLARE
832/26/426 CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
A priory church is known to have stood on the site in 1124. The present flint and stone church is mainly of the early C16. The tower, which belonged to an earlier aisless church is C14, but the lower part may be of the C15. The tower is castellated, and buttressed on the north and south sides. The nave and aisles are castellated and the aisles continue to form chapels north and south of the chancel. The chancel and the east end of the nave have crow-stepped gables. A chapel on the south side has C13 walls and a C15 vestry on the north, with moulded ceiling beams, has a priest's chamber above. The interior has a particularly fine octagonal pulpit of circa 1500, with traceried valence. Money was left for it in 1498 and it is said to have been given by Matthew Parker, the last Dean of the College of St John Baptist de Stoke and later Archbishop of Canterbury under Elizabeth I. There are C15 pews in the chancel, with traceried fronts and poppyhead bench ends. There is a brass to Edward Talcarne (1597) and his wife (1605).
Listing NGR: TL7410243342
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings