This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9746 / 50°58'28"N
Longitude: -2.7156 / 2°42'56"W
OS Eastings: 349851
OS Northings: 119707
OS Grid: ST498197
Mapcode National: GBR MK.LXFM
Mapcode Global: FRA 566J.MVZ
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426090
Location: Tintinhull, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Tintinhull
Built-Up Area: Tintinhull
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of St Margaret, St Margaret's Road.
Church of St Margaret, St Margaret's Road.
TINTINHULL CP ST. MARGARET'S ROAD (West side)
13/378 Church of St. Margaret
Anglican parish church. C13 et seq but with little obvious C19 work. Ham stone rubble, some cut and squared ashlar
dressings; stone slate roof to chancel, with coped east gable, and plain clay tiles to nave, with stepped coped gables
with finials, behind plain parapets. Two-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, with north tower at nave/chancel
junction, south porch, and C20 vestry at west end. Chancel mostly C13, with corner and bay buttresses with offsets,
corbel table eaves course: east window a C19 4-centre arched 5-light with reticulated tracery; north and south sides
have 2-light later C13 traceried windows, with plain stopped labels, with a pointed arched doorway with arched label
under flat stone hood to west bay south side: some C17 and C18 memorial slabs against north wall. Nave similar in
character, but with low parapets; single 3- light C15 window in hollowed recess on north side, which cuts across a
former buttress, and a blocked pointed arched doorway opposite south porch; west window 5-light to match: on south side
the east bay has a large C15 3-light window in hollowed recess with square-stop label, then a smaller C14 3-light
window under headstop label, the south porch, and a tall slim 2-light flat-headed traceried window under square label,
probably C14. South porch gabled, with side buttresses; moulded pointed C14 arch with square-stop label; inside a
ribbed pointed vault of 2 bays, with side shafts and bosses, C14 work re-roofed in 1534; plain inner doorway with
pointed arched niche over. The C20 west vestry (possibly by Sir Ninian Comper, who designed the churchyard cross (qv))
has a flat roof behind an angled coped parapet; plain leaded windows, door on south site. Tower C13, with top stage and
turret stair of 1516-17, in 3 stages: corner buttresses to north face, also octagonal stair turret this side; lowest
stage has triangular-arched doorway in east wall under square label, with slim trefoil-arched light over and also on
west face; roll string mould, then pairs slim lancet windows to east and west faces, with plain rectangular window
under on west side; stage 3 has groups of 3 lancets to match, over double string; plain parapet with gargoyles to
string: door with steps up on north-west angle of stair turret. Inside, the chancel mostly C13 in character, but with
early C20 king-post roof; side windows have fine semi-circular rere-arches with attached shafts and continuous cill
string; good C13 double piscina; wide chancel arch of early C14, with possibly contemporary low stone walls and small
stoup on nave north side. Nave has C19 arch-braced roof, no rere-arches to windows except to that part-hidden behind
pulpit, obscured by tower; continuous cill string. Fittings include C17 altar table, a C17 octagonal panelled timber
pulpit with matching backboard and tester; C15 octagonal font with panelled bowl and underbowl, plain shaft; C18
commandment boards, canvas on wood; a few medieval encaustic floor tiles in step to sanctuary; also a number of bench
ends, made 1511-12, three of which have hinged stools with stays, possibly for servants. Tower has a C16 timber panel
roof with moulded beams. Memorials include several brasses set into chancel floor, one to John Heth, priest, died 1464,
and others C17; a Ham and Keinton stone memorial in north wall of sanctuary, Corinthian columns and full entablature
with cartouche of arms to Thomas Napper, died 1692; on south chancel wall a black and white marble monument to John
Napper died 1778; also unusual Ham stone plaque with pediment in blocked north nave doorway to John Priddle, died 1773.
The Nappers lived at the Parsonage, now Tintinhull Court (q.v) from 1546, and also at Tintinhull House (q.v) until the
end of C18. Stained glass by F.C. Eden in east window. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958;
Oswald, A, Country Life, 12 April, 1956, article p 736 et seq).
Listing NGR: ST4985019704
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings