This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5218 / 52°31'18"N
Longitude: -1.8101 / 1°48'36"W
OS Eastings: 412980
OS Northings: 291562
OS Grid: SP129915
Mapcode National: GBR 3MS.VW
Mapcode Global: VH9YR.KWX5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and Church Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235495
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426235
Location: Birmingham, B24
Electoral Ward/Division: Tyburn
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Pype Hayes
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 19 SW BIRMINGHAM TYBURN ROAD Pype Hayes
4/10140 Church of St Mary and
Anglican church. 1929-30, by E.F. Reynolds. Red brick in Flemish stretcher bond, diaper brickwork, tile arches and Hollington stone dressings; reinforced concrete arch roof trusses, Roman tile roof cladding. PLAN: 7-bay nave with passage aisles and clerestory; west narthex and gallery; cruciform east end with chancel and transeptal chapels. Byzantine/Romanesque style. EXTERIOR: The 7-bay nave has tall passage aisles with round-headed lancets and pilasters; clerestory with pairs of small round-headed windows and buttresses between. Tall east end with transeptal chapel and slightly taller chancel with broad clasping buttresses, small gables and small round-headed windows high in the walls, the east window set high in the top of a wide buttress on the east end. The west end is similarly treated, but has diaper brickwork in the frieze below the gable and a portal of three doorways with round arches, the centre larger and recessed with stone shafts with capitals in the impost; the arches have herringbone brick tympana with stone panels, the centre carved; the flanking bays with small round-headed windows, clasping buttresses and diaper brickwork in the parapet. INTERIOR: White plastered walls. Long and lofty nave with 7-bay arcades of unmoulded round arches with stone imposts, small round-headed clerestory windows above, three between each of the reinforced concrete segmental arches supporting the panelled nave roof, which has painted ribs. Gallery at west end with wooden lattice balustrades, above round-headed doorways. The narrow passage aisles have round arches with stone imposts. The east wall of the chancel has plain round-headed panel, small window above with flanking buttresses and stone string below which continues as cill to clerestory windows on north and south walls. Similar roof to nave with round arches and `transept` arches, the south with wooden gallery to organ chamber. Stone screen with thin polygonal columns with Byzantine capitals and entablature with carved frieze arched over centre bay; this colonnade continues around the north and south walls of the chancel. Furnishings intact, include:- altar, choir stalls, reading desks, stone pulpit, lecturn, font, seating, organ and stained glass etc. Including Church Hall attached to north side by 3-bay brick arcaded cloister; brick, the north east end has rendered gable, the centre brick with raised gable and flanking piers, segmental arch doorway and stone tablet above inscribed:- St Marys Church Hall AD 1929. SOURCES: Buildings of England, page 176. New Churches Illustrated 1926-1936; published by Incorporated Church Building Society in 1936.
Listing NGR: SP1298091562
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings