This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9742 / 50°58'27"N
Longitude: -2.7153 / 2°42'55"W
OS Eastings: 349873
OS Northings: 119669
OS Grid: ST498196
Mapcode National: GBR MK.LXKL
Mapcode Global: FRA 566J.MZF
Entry Name: Tintinhull Court
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Last Amended: 28 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426254
Location: Tintinhull, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Tintinhull
Built-Up Area: Tintinhull
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST. MARGARET'S ROAD (West side)
Large detached house, formerly parsonage. Medieval basis and plan, re-modelled 1678, 1777 and 1927. Ham stone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped gables; ashlar chimney stacks, 'Z' plan.
Two storeys with attics, east elevation eight bays. Plinth to bays one, two and three only: bays one and two are a projecting gable with two-light ovolo-mould mullioned and transomed windows with square labels, and central oval light in gable: bay three may be a late medieval fragment which also projects, with angled corner buttress and battlemented parapet; hollow-chamfer mullioned windows of three lights, the lower large and with relieving arch over; bay four has an apparent garderobe in corner; bays five to eight have two-light hollow-chamfer mullioned and transomed windows under square labels, and between bays, as well as to bay four small hipped-roof dormers with two-light casement windows: all windows rectangular leaded: to lower bay five the entrance door, seemingly earlier C17, with strapwork covermoulds to boarding, set in a moulded semi-circular doorway with lozenge decorated impost blocks and keystone; to right a pair of small cusped lancet windows.
North elevation overlooking churchyard has three bays, of which bay one is an end gable, with two-light chamfer-mullioned windows with labels to first floor and attic, and matching single-light with label left of bay two; bays two and three have C18 mullioned windows with four-centre arched lights, two-light above without label, four-light below under shared label: at west end a single-storey extension to match, with another four-light window and south elevation of similar character. Only part of ground floor inspected; work mostly C17 and C18 in character but the staircase is early C20: south wing has panelled rooms, the centre room being of later C17 and transitional between Jacobean and Queen Anne, with a deep moulded ceiling which could be later; door into hall set into semi-circular arch resembling the front door; in room to north of entrance passage a recently exposed doorway, probably medieval.
Rear wing dated 1777; the 1927 works presumably include the staircase and a bay window on the west elevation. One of the homes of the Napper family for some 250 years; originally a medieval parsonage house, the Nappers took out the first least in 1546, soon after the dissolution of Montacute Priory: several members of the family buried in the church and Churchyard of St. Margaret adjoining (q.v).
Listing NGR: ST4987419668
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings