This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9431 / 52°56'34"N
Longitude: -0.6178 / 0°37'3"W
OS Eastings: 492981
OS Northings: 339300
OS Grid: SK929393
Mapcode National: GBR DPS.DN9
Mapcode Global: WHGKH.H914
Entry Name: Belton House
Listing Date: 19 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382844
Location: Belton and Manthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Belton and Manthorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Belton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9239 BELTON PARK, Belton
1315-0/8/70 (North West side)
19/02/52 Belton House
Country house 1685-1688. Designed by William Winde and built
by William Stanton, Master Mason, for Sir John Brownlow.
Altered 1777 by James Wyatt for Sir Brownlow Cust; internal
alterations c1816 by Jeffry Wyatville for the first Earl
Brownlow; further alterations, and reinstatement of some
earlier alterations c1870-1900, possibly by J H Pollen, for
the third Earl Brownlow. National Trust property from 1983.
Limestone ashlar from Ancaster and Ketton, and from the
earlier manor house. Hipped Westmorland slate roofs rising to
a lead flat bounded by a balustrade, renewed in fibreglass
c1986, and topped with an octagonal lead domed wooden cupola
supported by volutes, renewed late C19. 8 panelled and coped
Plinth, quoins, first floor band, modillion eaves cornice. 2
storeys plus basement and attics; 11 x 10 windows. Double
pile, H-plan. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes, 18-pane
on the first floor and 15-pane below, with moulded surrounds
and cornices. Dormers, restored late C19, have 9-pane sashes
and triangular or segmental pediments.
Southern entrance front has a projecting pedimented centre, 3
windows, and projecting hipped end bays, 2 windows. The larger
central window has an enlarged surround and cornice. Above it,
in the pediment, a cartouche. Central doorcase with columns
and entablature by Wyatt, with cross framed glazed double
doors. Steps outside with turned balustrade, flanked by
balustrade screen walls. Side and end bays have 2 windows on
each floor. Return angles have 2 blanks on each floor. 6
Garden front, to north, is almost identical, with a cartouche
and swags in the pediment, flanked by oval windows. Panelled
doorcase with segmental pediment on brackets, the door itself
replaced by a 15-pane sash. Similar steps without screen
walls. Return angles have 3 windows on each floor.
Courtyard front, to west, has a centre, 4 windows, defined by
quoins, and 4 dormers. Square near-central porch, late C19,
with panelled sides, square Doric pilasters, and glazed double
doors under a dentillated cornice. Above it, a solid
balustrade with the Royal arms in a panel. On either side, 4
windows. The north west service wing abuts the left end,
replacing an original window.
East front, of the same design, has regular fenestration.
INTERIOR retains the major elements of the original plan, with
"a large central hall on the south side flanked by smaller
reception rooms leading to passages on the east and west
wings, with large rooms in each corner pavilion, and secondary
staircases. This arrangement is repeated on the north side of
the house and on both floors". (Marsden & Barber).
Alterations were made in the early C19 by Wyatville and in the
late C19 by G Jackson & Sons of London.
Marble Hall (entrance hall) has panelling c1722, and 2 marble
fireplaces with naturalistic wooden pendants above, all late
C17, the carving by Edmund Carpenter and probably by Gibbons.
Tapestry room, to west, remodelled c1890 in C17 style.
Staircase hall, to east, has a coved ceiling with plasterwork
by Edward Goudge, and an open well oak staircase with turned
balusters, renewed in 1823 by Wyatville. Saloon, on the north
side, has pedimented doorcases and prolific woodcarving by
Carpenter. Ceiling 1892, by Jackson & Sons, in the style of
Goudge. Red drawing room, to west, by Wyatville, has moulded
wall panels and cornice, running dog frieze, and marble
fireplace. Tyrconnel room, to east, originally a state
bedroom, has an unusual painted floor, late C19, and
overmantel carving, possibly by Carpenter.
West wing has a central entrance hall with dogleg stair. To
north, former ante-library, 1809, by Wyatville, rearranged as
a breakfast room, 1877. To north again, former library, 1809,
by Wyatville, rearranged as a state dining room in 1877 and
hung with giant paintings by Hondecoter. East wing has a
central open well staircase with turned balusters, and a C19
crane and winch. To north, Chapel drawing room with restored
marbled decoration, 1772, and 2 tapestries, late C18, by
Vanderbank. Adjoining 2 storey chapel has an outstanding
ceiling by Edward Goudge and a triple arched gallery with
elaboate woodcarving and an organ by William Hill in a case of
1826, by Wyatville. Fittings include a marbled wooden reredos
with double columns and segmental pediment, and box pews.
On the first floor, central library on the south side,
remodelled as a drawing room, 1778 by James Wyatt and
rearranged as a library 1877. Segmental vaulted ceiling by
Wyatt, bookcases by Wyatville, and marble fireplace with
caryatids by Westmacott. Boudoir, to west, by Wyatt, 1776, has
a similar ceiling and a marble fireplace probably by William
Tyler. On the north side, the Queen's bedroom has unpainted
wooden panelling and enriched marble fireplace with frieze
panel possibly by Edmund Carpenter. Adjoining ante-library, to
west, originally a dressing room, has marbled decoration,
1884. Chinese bedroom, to east, has joinery painted to imitate
bamboo, and C18 Chinese wallpaper.
Much modified principal rafter roof with joggled purlins.
Basement contains butler's pantry, housekeeper's room, plate
room, cellars, and other service rooms with specialised
Belton House is perhaps the best surviving example of a
country house derived from the work of Roger Pratt. It also
contains important examples of the work of Goudge and
Carpenter, and the designs of Wyatt and Wyatville.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 136-139; Marsden J & Barber
A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987; Tinniswood A: Belton
House, Lincolnshire: London: 1992-; Gunnis R: Dictionary of
British Sculptors, 1660-1851: London: 1951-: 367-368).
Listing NGR: SK9298139300
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings