History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Italian Garden About 100 Metres South East of Westonbirt House, Including Camellia House to North

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westonbirt with Lasborough, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6051 / 51°36'18"N

Longitude: -2.1948 / 2°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 386606

OS Northings: 189600

OS Grid: ST866896

Mapcode National: GBR 1PB.9Y7

Mapcode Global: VH95J.XX2F

Entry Name: Italian Garden About 100 Metres South East of Westonbirt House, Including Camellia House to North

Listing Date: 16 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1235738

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426558

Location: Westonbirt with Lasborough, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Westonbirt with Lasborough

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Westonbirt with Lasborough

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Easton Grey

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

WESTONBIRT WITH LASBOROUGH A433

ST 88 NE
(off south side)
10/179 Italian garden about 100m
SE of Westonbirt House,
induding Camellia House to North
GV II*


the description shall be amended to read:

Very large formal garden approxiamately 85m by 65m, to south east of Westonbirt House (q.v.)
and including Camellia House attached to north wall. End pavilions probably designed 1843 by
Henry Edward Hamlen, the remainder possibly by Robert Stayner Holford himself. On south
side to east and west ends, 2 large round-headed stone archways with shell crests flanking
niches, obelisks and elaborate strapwork, lead into area of flower beds set in grass on 2 main
levels with two planting bowls resembling fountains, rising up to north, enclosed to east and
west by low moulded stone walls, and to north by tall rat-trap bond brick wall with closely set
stone piers, large overhanging moulded stone cornice with supporting brackets on string course,
with endpavilions and central arch leading to Camellia House. Between arches to south is
central round pond with large grotesque fountain heads to each side. Pavilions in brick with
elaborate strapwork stone dressings and ogee fish-scale tile domes; with archways on three sides
and arched niches to north with ornamental stone seats, mosaic floor. Iron straps support the
stonework as an integral part of the construction . Pavilion to east has additional bay to east
with raised niche at east end probably originally for a sculpture. Central archway with square
piers and triangular pediment with carved ornament above and below, over round-headed arch
into small Camellia House of glass with ornamental iron structure resembling a hammerbeam
roof with circular motifs. The garden is unaltered in its layout and is a good example of the
fashions of the period.
(James Lees-Milne, Country Life Vol 151, 1972)

------------------------------------

WESTONBIRT WITH A433
ST 88 NE
LASBOROUGH (off south side)
10/179 Italian garden about l00m
south east of Westonbirt House,
including Camellia House to north
II*
GV

Very large formal garden approximately 85m by 65m, to south east of
Westonbirt House (q.v.) and including Camellia House attached to
north wall. End pavilions probably designed 1843 by Henry Edward
Hamlen, the remainder possibly by Robert Stayner Holford himself.
On south side to east and west ends, 2 large round-headed stone
archways with shell crests flanking niches, obelisks and elaborate
strapwork, lead into area of flower beds set in grass on 2 main
levels, rising up to north, enclosed to east and west by low
moulded stone walls, and to north by tall rat-trap bond brick wall
with closely set stone piers, large overhanging moulded stone
cornice with supporting brackets on string course, with end
pavilions and central arch leading to Camellia House. Between
arches to south is central round pond with large grotesque fountain
heads to each side. Pavilions in brick with elaborate strapwork
stone dressings and ogee fish-scale tile domes; with archways on
three sides and arched niches to north with ornamental stone seats,
mosaic floor. Iron straps support the stonework as an integral
part of the construction. Pavilion to east has additional bay to
east with raised niche at east end probably originally for a
sculpture. Central archway with square piers and triangular
pediment with carved ornament above and below, over round-headed
arch into -small Camellia House of glass with ornamental iron
structure resembling a hammerbeam roof with circular motifs. The
garden is unaltered in its layout and is a good example of the
fashions of the period.
(James Lees-Milne, Country Life Vol 151, 1972)


Listing NGR: ST8660689600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.