This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0364 / 53°2'10"N
Longitude: -1.0807 / 1°4'50"W
OS Eastings: 461740
OS Northings: 349184
OS Grid: SK617491
Mapcode National: GBR 9J0.PKW
Mapcode Global: WHFHK.CYM3
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425269
Location: Calverton, Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG14
Civil Parish: Calverton
Built-Up Area: Calverton
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Calverton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
CALVERTON MAIN STREET
SK 64 NW
5/32 Church of
Parish church. Late C13, C14. Nave and tower rebuilt 1763.
Chancel rebuilt 1835. Restored 1881. Organ chamber 1888.
Vestry 1962. Dressed stone and ashlar. Lead, plain tile and
slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, coved eaves, crenellated parapet,
coped gables. West tower, nave, chancel, organ chamber, south
porch, vestry. West tower, single stage, has 2 buttresses to
west, 4 setoffs. Openings have round heads and Gibbs surrounds.
South side has clock. West side has door with overlight, and
above it, datestone inscribed '1763 M. Pugh, Vicar, Sam Pugh.....
Churchwardens.' Above it, 3 light leaded window with wooden
mullions. Above again, each side has a louvred opening. Nave
north side, 2 bays, has 3 buttresses and 2 C13 style double
lancets with hood moulds,1881. West end has to left, a similar
lancet. South side, 3 bays, has 2 buttresses and 3 similar
double lancets with hood moulds. Chancel, 2 bays, has mullioned
windows with segmental heads. North side has blocked window to
east. Fragments of Cll carved stone in plinth. East end has 3
light window. South side has to east, a blocked window. Organ
chamber has a diagonal buttress and a gable stack. South side
has a C12 style double lancet with hood mould. South porch, late
C19, has C12 style doorway with round shafts and hood mould.
Coped gable with cross. To west, 2 round windows. Flat roofed
vestry has parapet. Single casement to north and to west. Porch
interior has common rafter roof and C19 pointed doorway.
Aisleless nave has C19 strutted kingpost roof on corbels. South
side has stained glass window, 1945. Tower arch, C13, chamfered
and rebated, has mid C20 screen and balustrade to ringing floor.
Tower chamber has re-set lintel, Cll, with masks. Tower clock
chamber has 9 re-set carved stones showing country activities,
Cll. Chancel arch, C13, restored, has triple round responds,
Cll, with incised capitals. To its right, restored pointed
opening. Chancel has C18 butt purlin roof. East end has stained
glass window, 1905. Fittings include small carved table, C17.
Round font with blind arcading, on clustered shafts, benches,
stalls and desks with shaped ends, wooden double lectern,
octagonal panelled pulpit, all late C19. Donations board, 1833.
Monuments include brass in alabaster frame, 1686. 3 Classical
wall tablets, C19 and C20. 3 marble tablets, one of them oval,
1822, 1830, 1856. 2 C20 brasses. Large marble war memorial
tablet with scrolled broken pediment, 1918. War memorial brass
in wood frame, 1945.
Listing NGR: SK6174049184
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings