This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6112 / 51°36'40"N
Longitude: -2.1975 / 2°11'51"W
OS Eastings: 386418
OS Northings: 190287
OS Grid: ST864902
Mapcode National: GBR 1P4.WS3
Mapcode Global: VH95J.VRMP
Entry Name: Westonholme, the Bothy, Mill Cottage, Holford Barns and Attached Sawmill
Listing Date: 17 January 1992
Last Amended: 1 August 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426917
Location: Westonbirt with Lasborough, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Westonbirt with Lasborough
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
WESTONBIRT WITH LASBOROUGH
1386/7/10000 WESTONHOLME, THE BOTHY, MILL COTTAGE,
17-JAN-92 HOLFORD BARNS AND ATTACHED SAWMILL
(Formerly listed as:
WESTONHOLME, THE BOTHY, MILL COTTAGE A
ND ATTACHED SAWMILL AND FARMBUILDINGS)
Bailiff's house, sawmill and farmbuildings. 1852-4; sawmill
expanded 1881. Designed by E Rich, agent for the Westonbirt
estate. Squared and coursed limestone with ashlar dressings;
upper floor of granary range in rat trap bond brick; asbestos,
corrugated iron, stone slate and Welsh slate roofs.
PLAN: Westonholme, The Bothy and Mill Cottage form T-plan with
Westonholm facing NE; sawmill range adjoins N side of cottages
and then extends in long rectangular range to SW with right-
angled return forming cartshed to SE; attached to rear of
sawmill and at right angles to rear (SW) gable of cottages is the
engine house connected by a throughway to the mill barn which is
flanked by ranges to SW and NE making T-plan and which form a
granary/cartshed block parallel and to the S of the cottages and
sawmill; the latter granary/cartshed has been partly converted into housing, and is now known as Holford Barns.
EXTERIOR: Cottages of one storey and attic with stone ashlar
stacks. Westonholm has symmetrical 3-window range with flat
stone arches over 2/2-pane sashes flanking gabled porch with
carved barge boards and round-arched doorway, and 8/8 pane sashes
in gabled half dormers; side elevations to cottages at rear have
8/8-pane sashes to gabled half dormers and under flat stone
arches, with entry and mullioned canted bay window to right.
SAWMILL range of one storey facing north: to centre is gabled
bellcote set on wide gable with stone stacks to rear, terminal
capped piers and keyed round window above 2 gauged ashlar flat-
arched entries (infilled to right); to right is 5-window range
with similar blocked central archway, one 4-light and 4 two-light
chamfered mullioned and transomed windows and corbels to ogee
cast-iron gutter. On left of central gable is 2-window range,
with similar archway flanked by similar 4-light windows. Long
1850s range under same roof further to left, with finials to
stone-coped gables, left gable end dominated by tall semi-
circular arched entry to sliding double doors, flanked by gauged
stone flat-arched entries with lunette to top right.
FARMBUILDINGS: Large semi-circular arched entry to engine house;
sliding doors and segmental-arched entries to throughway; gabled
front of mill barn facing-south has 2-storey, 3-window range,has
flat stone arches over 9-pane cast-iron windows and semi-circular
stone arch over similar window above flat-arched central doorway
with sliding door. Mill barn/engine house is flanked by
cartshed/granary ranges, of 8 bays to NE and 6 bays to SW, the
latter having barn adjoining mill barn; the N elevation has flat
arch over doorway (sliding doors missing) to barn; cartsheds have
cast-iron columns to transverse beams, shaped at ends, supporting
granaries above with 2-light windows. South elevation has flat
stone arches over entries, formerly with sliding doors, flanking
mill barn; lean-to to NE infilled 7-bay cartshed with cast-iron
columns adjoins SW end of sawmill at right angles.
INTERIOR: iron trusses to sawmill. Stone straight-flight steps to granaries and first floor of mill barn which have composite iron and softwood trusses, and flywheel connected to drive shaft running to engine house; iron crane to
first floor of mill barn over throughway.
HISTORY: One of 6 "model" farmsteads erected on the Westonbirt
estate by the mid 1850s, Home Farm being the most technologically
advanced for its date. The cattle yards to the south have been
demolished and the farm had a gas works in 1881.
(J C Morton, The Farmer's Calendar,1862, p95; C. Miller. "The
Model Farms of Victorian Gloucestershire". Gloucestershire
History, Vol 4 (1990), ppll-13)
Listing NGR: ST8641890287
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings