This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4172 / 50°25'2"N
Longitude: -3.6884 / 3°41'18"W
OS Eastings: 280143
OS Northings: 58848
OS Grid: SX801588
Mapcode National: GBR QM.V048
Mapcode Global: FRA 375Y.DWN
Entry Name: Bowden House
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Last Amended: 16 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236034
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426815
Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Totnes
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
5180 GREEN LANE
(Formerly listed as
Bawden House and
Outbuildings of Bowden House)
SX 85 NW 8/5 7.1.52.
Circa 1509 manor house built for John Gyles, remodelled with new south-east and
south-west fronts circa 1700-4 for Nicholas Trist. 2 storeys. South-east facade,
symmetrical with central entrance; 5 bay with fenestration 2:1:1:1:2. South-west
facade, also symmetrical with 5 bays and fenestration 2:2:1:2:2. Hipped Welsh slate
roof with rendered stacks. Devonian limestone ashlar with pilasters carrying entablature
and parapet, plain 1st floor band. Architraved sash windows with glazing
bars. Main entrance with architraved doorway, console bracketed entablature with
pulvinated frieze and ½ glazed door (garden entrance with similar doorway with pediment]:
early C19 glazed porch.
C16 range at rear with original doorways to former screen's passage; original main
entrance (now internal doorway) of granite with arched head, moulded square surround
with carved spandrels and hoodmould (similar doorway reused in C19 stable range.
3-light mullioned window with cavetto mouldings and hoodmould over former rear entrance.
Early C19 stable block adjoining C16 range with arcaded stable yard. Symmetrical
stable block with honey-comb brick treatment to 1st floor hay lofts, possibly for
ventilation. Outbuildings incorporate doorway (see above) and other carved fragments
from the C16 house.
Interior Former Tudor hall, later the kitchen, retains a moulded plaster ceiling
decorated with rib work and part of figured frieze; open fireplaces, one with early
C18 mantle. C18 front room with earlier C17 panelling (brought from elsewhere in
the old house) and similarly a fine carved chimneypiece with elaborate coat of arms
and crowned supporters inscribed below Holophernies and Judith with date 1585.
Elaborate C18 plasterwork to entrance hall including doorcase, niches, chimney-
piece etc. Naturalistic classical ceiling. Medallion of Charles I dated 1735.
Large panelled room over entrance hall. Fine mid C18 open staircase with open string,
closely spaced, turned balusters, column newels and swept, moulded handrail.
Listing NGR: SX8014358848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings