History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Wickhambrook, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1719 / 52°10'18"N

Longitude: 0.5523 / 0°33'8"E

OS Eastings: 574630

OS Northings: 255697

OS Grid: TL746556

Mapcode National: GBR PD7.VTZ

Mapcode Global: VHJGZ.JNBW

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 18 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427134

Location: Wickhambrook, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Wickhambrook

Built-Up Area: Wickhambrook

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wickhambrook All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wickhambrook

Listing Text

1. WICKHAMBROOK MEETING GREEN
United Reformed Church
TL 75 NW SP/634

II 3/634

2.
Chapel, built in 1743 by the local congregation of Independents; later Congregationalist;
became the United Reformed Church in 1972. In red brick, with an admixture of blue bricks,
laid in Flemish bond; slate roof, fully hipped; plain flat pilasters at the corners. The
building has a characteristic facade in 2 storeys, with an upper row of 3 cross windows,
and a similar slightly longer window in the centre of the ground floor: all these are late
C19 replacements in the original openings, which have segmental arched heads in gauged
brickwork. Flanking the ground floor window are 2 original doorways with plain surrounds,
segmental arches, and fine doors, each with 8 raised and fielded panels. Set into the
wall are 2 semi-circular wrought iron foot-scrapers, and on the left side is an ornate
bracketed lamp holder with a decorative finial on top. On the rear wall are 2 long
original windows with semi-circular heads and diamond-leaded panes; the light is divided into
3 by heavy glazing-bars, and there is a small opening casement with pintle hinges in the
central division. The gauged brick surrounds have keystones and capitals. The interior
is typical, with a gallery on 3 sides: the fronts have applied octagonal panels, and the
supporting wooden columns have moulded caps and bases. According to the chapel records,
the 2 side galleries were added c.1813. The rear gallery is now an organ loft. On the
rear wall above the gallery is a very long row of wooden hat pegs. Late C19 benches and
roof, the latter an ingenious structure of cast iron and timber, with cast iron ties, and
timber queen struts and side purlins. This may have been designed to replace an earlier
roof supported on a pillar or pillars. The pulpit, placed centrally between the 2 long
windows on the rear wall, is panelled and approached by a flight of steps. Adjoining the
chapel on the left is a single-storey Sunday School building in matching materials: said
to date from c.1813, with late C19 alterations. Hipped roof; 2 cross windows; central
doorway; door with 2 leaves, each 4-panelled with applied mouldings, and a rectangular
fanlight with vertical glazing bars; the open roof is similar to that of the chapel. A
C19 vestry added to part of the back of the chapel and a C20 extension to the Sunday
School building.


Listing NGR: TL7463055697

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.