History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The French Protestant Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, Westminster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5157 / 51°30'56"N

Longitude: -0.1331 / 0°7'59"W

OS Eastings: 529638

OS Northings: 181298

OS Grid: TQ296812

Mapcode National: GBR GB.9T

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.N50C

Entry Name: The French Protestant Church

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Last Amended: 23 August 2017

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427241

Location: Westminster, London, W1D

County: Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

5.2.70 Nos. 8 and 9 (The French
Protestant Church )
Church fronted by Library and Presbytery block. 1889-1893 by (Sir) Aston Webb.
Plain coloured hard brick and light red terracotta, green slate roof. Late
Flemish-Gothic style with slightly Romanesque details in Aston Webb's early manner.
4 storeys and basement. 5 main bays wide, subdivided into 9 window bays on upper
floors. The terracotta faced ground floor has central shafted Romanesque arched
doorway,and flanking bays have coupled shafted 2-light Romanesque arched windows with
small pane iron casements, the right hand opening a secondary entrance. Upper floors
have ranges of abutting flat and segmental arched small paned casements broken by 2
shallow tower-like projections with pyramidal roofs and central through storey oriel
rising into terracotta banded gable with cross finial. A timber cupola crowns the
centre of the ridge which is flanked by lofty banded chimney stacks surmounting the
stepped gable ends. The church lies behind this fore building and has an interior of
buff terracotta and brick in free late Gothic with 4 bay nave arcade, apse, vaulted
side aisles and main barrel roof of timber. Two C17 and C18 Royal Coats of Arms are
kept in the building.
Survey of London; Vol. XXXIII.

Listing NGR: TQ2963381304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.