History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 45 and Attached Outbuildings and Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Caldecott, Rutland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5325 / 52°31'56"N

Longitude: -0.7223 / 0°43'20"W

OS Eastings: 486765

OS Northings: 293498

OS Grid: SP867934

Mapcode National: GBR CTB.B5L

Mapcode Global: VHDQQ.FLHZ

Entry Name: Number 45 and Attached Outbuildings and Stables

Listing Date: 10 November 1955

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236405

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427382

Location: Caldecott, Rutland, LE16

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Caldecott

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Caldecott St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
lyddington

Listing Text

CALDECOTT MAIN STREET
SP 8693-8793
(south-east side)
11/22
No 45 and attached
10.11.55
outbuildings and
stables (formerly
listed as The Olde
House).
GV II

House with attached outbuildings and stables. Probably C17, refronted 1789 as
dated on plaque. Plaque also carries initials IEB. Ironstone ashlar front with
brown Uppingham stone quoins and lintel band, and other dressings in pale
limestone. Remainder ironstone rubble. Thatched roof with coped gables, C19
brick chimneys with dentil caps to gables and to right of centre. 2 storeys and
attic, 3 bays. Flush limestone sill strings. 3-light barred wood and metal
casements with shaped lintels, the ground floor windows with some early C20
leaded glazing and triple limestone keyblocks, the upper windows with bonded
limestone jambs and single keyblocks. Blocked doorway between left bays with
similar lintel and keyblock and date in lozenge-shaped plaque above. 6-panelled
door with plain lintel between right bays. Attic windows in gables. C19
2-storey wing with slate roof to rear of left bay. To right a lower thatched
roof is carried across cart entry and outbuilding. Beyond this outbuilding is
another, with C17 banded limestone and ironstone walls, altered hipped roof of
C20 asbestos slates, and 3 high wooden windows. At right-angles to rear of
thatched outbuilding is a C18 stable range with steeply pitched corrugated
asbestos roof, coped gable and 5 board doors. Interior of house not seen.
Stables used by Hunt family for breeding race-horses, including 2 winners of The
Grand National: "Playfair" (1888) and "Forbra" (1932). (M Neenan, Caldecott,
1954).


Listing NGR: SP8675893490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.