History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

74, South Audley Street W1

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5081 / 51°30'29"N

Longitude: -0.1514 / 0°9'4"W

OS Eastings: 528389

OS Northings: 180417

OS Grid: TQ283804

Mapcode National: GBR BF.5K

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.BCB7

Entry Name: 74, South Audley Street W1

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236474

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427422

Location: Westminster, London, W1K

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2880 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER SOUTH AUDLEY
79/23 STREET, Wl
30.3.17 No. 74
G.V. II*
Terraced town house. 1736 by Edward Shepherd, alterations in 1830s and
1880s and refronting by Balfour and Turner in 1908. Portland stone,
slate roof. Subtle reworking of Georgian elevational theme but with
distinctive Balfour and Turner Arts and Crafts details. 3 storeys,
basement and attic storey. 3 windows wide but the front composed in
two parts. The right hand part, slightly recessed, has prominent
square pier porch to right and ground floor window flanked by
pilasters; 2 windows on 1st floor segmental arched and recessed for
one order with eyebrowed cornices, plain recessed lintelled sashes
above. The left hand part, one window wide, has tripartite windows of
Venetian derivation to ground and 1st floors, the ground floor one
altered to entrance. Both parts of front are articulated by giant
Doric pilasters through 1st and 2nd floors carrying entablature across
front, attic with balustraded parapet. Continuous wrought iron
balcony to 1st floor carried out over porch. Interior, its plan
interlocking with No. 75, retaining exceptional plasterwork ceilings
of c.1740, 4 on the ground floor and 2 on 1st floor, several deeply
coved and of particular note that in rear left ground floor room and
the ceiling and upper walls of the stair compartment (the stairs proper
Edwardian) - all work by Shepherd. From 1747 to 1829 this house was
the Portuguese Embassy.
Survey of London; Vol. XL.


Listing NGR: TQ2838980416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.