History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Blenheim Park, Southend-on-Sea

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5508 / 51°33'2"N

Longitude: 0.6734 / 0°40'24"E

OS Eastings: 585449

OS Northings: 186929

OS Grid: TQ854869

Mapcode National: GBR Y4T.9P

Mapcode Global: VHJL4.M9C0

Entry Name: The White Hall

Listing Date: 1 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236551

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427557

Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS0

County: Southend-on-Sea

Electoral Ward/Division: Blenheim Park

Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Westcliff St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Leigh-on-Sea

Listing Text

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA CLATTERFIELD
TQ 88 NE
GARDENS (South side)
2/10007 The White Hall
GV II
Built as a tennis club house, now stage school with flat. Designed in 1934 by D N Martin Kaye, the
Head of Southend School of Architecture. International Modern style, designed to be the focal point
of a planned modernist development projected by the Thurston family of which only two houses,
in Clatterfield Gardens, were built. Rendered brick, flat felt roof, steel framed windows. U plan, 2
storeys to north, remainder single storey. The principal elevation (east) consists of a hall with a range
of 3 pairs of french doors, each flanked by full-length fixed lights, all with horizontal glazing bars.
To right, projecting 2-storey block has at first floor high-level ribbon windows around both corners
and similar window to ground floor left. To left a projecting low single storey range with a corner
window to left and one 3-light and one single light window. Almost continuous drip band to
window heads. Rear elevation has range of 3 ribbon windows to hall above drip band; double doors
and corner window to right; 4-light window and door to left, 2-light square window to first floor.
Hall has coved cornice and retains wooden bar in alcove. Foundation stone inscribed "Laid by Diana
and Dick Thurston 21 Nov 1931."


Listing NGR: TQ8544986929

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.