History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of King Charles the Martyr

A Grade II Listed Building in Wem Rural, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8796 / 52°52'46"N

Longitude: -2.7767 / 2°46'36"W

OS Eastings: 347826

OS Northings: 331634

OS Grid: SJ478316

Mapcode National: GBR 7G.QQ09

Mapcode Global: WH89V.BW08

Entry Name: Church of King Charles the Martyr

Listing Date: 16 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236696

English Heritage Legacy ID: 427782

Location: Wem Rural, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Wem Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Newtown King Charles the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Coton

Listing Text

WEM RURAL C.P. NEWTOWN
SJ 43 SE
5/150 Church of King
- Charles the Martyr
- II
Chapel-of-ease, now parish church. 1869-70 by Edward Haycock, Junior,
on site of C17 chapel. Rough-faced snecked sandstone with chamfered
plinth and ashlar dressings; machine tile roofs with coped verges and
ornamental cresting. Nave with west bellcote, chancel, south porch
and north vestry. Nave: in 4 bays with plain lancets, paired to east
on south; gabled south porch between first and second windows from west.
West wall has 2 broad lancets linked by hoodmould with gabled bellcote
above. Chancel: in 2 bays; cusped lancets on south, triple to west
bay and single to east linked by cill band carried down from hoodmould
of east lancet. East window of 3 broad lancets with hoodmould and moulded
cill band. Lean-to vestry on north with lateral stone stack in
angle with nave. Interior: double-purlin king-strut roof in 4 bays
to nave and trussed rafter roof to chancel. Pointed chancel arch has
elegant wrought-iron screen (c.1870) with Gothic tracery on low stone
wall. Marble pulpit dated 1898 and other fittings and furnishings late
C19. Late C19 stained glass including east window; 2 early C20 windows
in nave commemorate victims of Boer War. Monument: plain wall memorial
to Francis Chambre (died 1791) - nave west end. The parish was created
from part of Wem in 1861. B.O.E. p.219; D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 8 (1906) pp.708-9.


Listing NGR: SJ4782631634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.