This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5101 / 51°30'36"N
Longitude: -0.1209 / 0°7'15"W
OS Eastings: 530500
OS Northings: 180696
OS Grid: TQ305806
Mapcode National: GBR KD.0T
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.V9GP
Plus Code: 9C3XGV6H+3J
Entry Name: The Savoy Theatre
Listing Date: 23 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427797
Location: Westminster, London, WC2R
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary le Strand with St Clement Danes
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3080 NW and NE
CITY OF WESTMINSTER,
The Savoy Theatre
Theatre. 1881 by C. J. Phipps for Richard D'Oyly Carte, refronted to Savoy Court by Collcuttin 1903 and with new entrance and auditorium and foyer, 1929, by A. Tugwell with interior design by Basil Ionides.
Polished stainless steel facing to main entrance, Doulton Carrara Ware above, remaining parts of Phipps elevations to Carting Lane including south lower level foyer entrance, of painted brick with rusticated piers. Because of the sloping site the Savoy Court foyer entrance is on high level with theatre below, with original main entrance on Carting Lane level necessitating long access corridors from foyers. Art Deco Moderne with unique and highly accomplished Deco theatre interior. The Savoy Court main entrance front is of one storey faced in stainless steel with strong horizontal emphasis, (see Savoy Hotel qv); steel doors with glazed panels grouped with display cases under ornamental flat band and, above, a full length glazed panel containing in thin steel sanserif letters "Savoy Theatre".
Interior: both upper and lower level foyers have sunk panelled ceilings, fluted plaster and mirror lined walls, retaining original steel bench seating and furnishings; the auditorium is rectangular with small sunk panels over the whole of the ceiling and main wall surfaces with varied Chinese motif reliefs in the wall panels; square proscenium; two balconies with sunk ornamental panels in the soffits and flat lozenge shaped and fluted wall panels - in Chrisopher Hussey's contemporary opinion "the first really outstanding example of modern decoration applied to a public place on a commercial basis." The queen post roof over the stage, containing drum and shaft machinery, is part of Phipps' original theatre. The theatre was the first part of the Savoy complex developed by D'Oyly Carte.
The Theatres of London; Mander and Mitchenson
Listing NGR: TQ3050080696
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings