This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2718 / 51°16'18"N
Longitude: -0.5507 / 0°33'2"W
OS Eastings: 501195
OS Northings: 153518
OS Grid: TQ011535
Mapcode National: GBR FC5.CKK
Mapcode Global: VHFVG.D9PB
Entry Name: Sutton Place Including the Service Court Yard
Listing Date: 22 July 1953
Last Amended: 6 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427910
Location: Woking, Surrey, GU4
Electoral Ward/Division: Heathlands
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Burpham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06SW BOROUGH OF WOKING SUTTON PARK
9/137 Sutton Place including
22/7/53 the Service Court Yard
(Formerly listed Sutton Place
GV inc. subsidiary buildings,
Country house. c1525 for Sir Richard Weston, restorations to windows in 1875
and to Long Gallery in 1878. Red and brown diaper pattern brickwork with terracotta
dressings; plain tiled roofs with crow stepped gables to north end of side wings,
multiple stacks on return fronts and across the south front. Originally built as
square house round a courtyard c140 foot by 130 foot, the north gatehouse range was
demolished in 1786 to leave the south range with projecting end wings and service
court to the west side. 2 storeys and attic with gable end windows on brick plinth,
stringcourse over the ground floor and terracotta parapets and quoins. Terracotta
mullioned and transome leaded windows with cusped lights; drip mouldings across
the top of the ground floor windows. South range Courtyard facade: symmetrical
5 bay front a b c b a, end and centre bays projecting. Diamond pattern terracotta
plaques over the enter bays becoming quatrofoil plaques over the centre bay. Central
bay with thin polygonal turrets capped by onion domes and finials; and terracotta
panels with "R.W, initials. Between the turrets is a battlemented blind arcade
with cusping and/20 terracotta panels of naked amorini. Centre arched door under
drip moulding with carved spandrels; a further 12 amorini panels over the door
(2 rows of 6). East and west wings, 7 bays to court side, centre angle bay pro-
jecting, bays to south breaking forward. Arched doors to south end in similar
style to main door.
South Garden Front: Asymmetrical with gabled bay to left, (west) projecting gabled
bay to left of centre, multiple stack to right; end bay to right breaking forward.
Dentilled brick and terracotta panelled parapet band with amorini and crosses. To
the left (west) are 3 C17 houses forming the north range of the service court. Red
brick with plain tiled roofs and glazing bar sash windows.
Interior: Great Hall (centre of the south range) 2 storeys with wooden panelling
some with rounded carving, and stone 4 centred arched fireplace. Staircase to the
right behind Ionic arched screen with square newel C17 staircase. Panelled long
Gallery to the east wing. Painted glass in the Great hall of various periods,
some earlier than the house, depicting Royal coats of arms and the Weston family arms.
The interior fitments subject to a Public Inquiry at time of re-survey.
Sources: PEVSNER Buildings of England, Surrey (1982) p.p. 476-479
Annals of an Old Manor House : Sutton Place by F. Harrison. passim
Listing NGR: TQ0119553518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings