This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4298 / 50°25'47"N
Longitude: -3.6915 / 3°41'29"W
OS Eastings: 279958
OS Northings: 60254
OS Grid: SX799602
Mapcode National: GBR QL.MCBX
Mapcode Global: FRA 374X.KP4
Entry Name: The Old Ticket Office Including Steps, Wall and Railings Adjoining East
Listing Date: 30 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237074
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428282
Location: Totnes, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Totnes
Built-Up Area: Totnes
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Totnes St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 7960 TOTNES LEECHWELL STREET
3/241 'The Old Ticket Office'
including steps, wall and
- railings adjoining east
Former market house, locally known as the 'Old Ticket Office'. Late C19. Stone
rubble with red brick dressings. Pyramidical tiled roof with terracotta
finial. Red brick chimney at south west corner with bracketed cornice and
louvre pot. Plan - 1 square room. Exterior: 1 storey. Doorway on the west
side (facing Sheep Market), window in each of the other 3 sides. All have
segmental headed ovolo-moulded red brick surrounds. At the base of north wall
(facing the Lamb) is a similar round-arched recess containing a public tap, this
being protected by an iron cage. On the east side is a yellow terracotta plat-
form or seat flanked on the left by a stone pier with red brick dressings.
Above is a wooden canopy with shaped fringe; this is continued round the south
side but without the fringe. Also on the south side is a yellow brick pave-
ment. On the east, the building is approached from Leechwell Street by a long,
shallow flight of granite faced steps. At either side, a stone rubble wall. At
the top of the left side a chamfered red brick pier with bracketed cap. At
bottom of right side, an old gate post made of a single piece of granite.
Boundary wall to Leechwell Street of squared limestone rubble. Iron railing on
top with fleur-de-lis finials to the uprights - this continuing up the left side
of the steps. The sheep market is believed to have been established on this
site in 1677, but the 1:500 OS map of 1887 shows a house on the Leechwell Street
frontage. Presumably, this was demolished later in C19 and the market house
built on what had been its garden.
Listing NGR: SX7995860254
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings