This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8463 / 52°50'46"N
Longitude: -2.7331 / 2°43'59"W
OS Eastings: 350721
OS Northings: 327894
OS Grid: SJ507278
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.SNMJ
Mapcode Global: WH8B1.ZQPB
Entry Name: Tilley Hall and attached walls to front and rear
Listing Date: 28 October 1960
Last Amended: 16 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237088
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427954
Location: Wem Rural, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Wem Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Wem St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 52 NW
WEM RURAL C.P.
Tilley Hall and attached walls to front and rear
(formerly listed as Tilley Hall)
Farmhouse. Dated 1613 with later additions and alterations. Timber framed with rendered wattle and daub infill; plain tile roofs. Original house apparently a T-plan with another gabled range added to left a little later, forming present H-plan. Two storeys with attics to cross-wings.
Framing: close studding with three middle rails to hall range and left cross-wing and two middle rails to right cross-wing, which has square panels to rear half. Right gable has cusped quatrefoils above tie beam and curved struts to upper collar. Left gable has hewn jettying to first floor and attic, ground floor bressumer with linked chain motif and billet moulding, first floor one with intertwined motifs and billet moulding; carved corner brackets. First floor has diamond-shaped patterns, then cross-shapes and cusped quatrefoils to top. Attic has concave lozenges and curved struts to upper collar. Regularly coursed and dressed sandstone plinth for half-cellar beneath right gable has two infilled windows to front and similar square windows to sides. Late C19 casement fenestration, one on each floor to left gable and to left and right of hall range; to atticc only to right gable. Position of 2 infilled mullion windows visible to right wall of left gable.
Hall range has central C17 nail-studded door under C19 gabled timber porch with date "1613" in C19 numerals painted on lintel. Sandstone axial ridge stack to right of hall range has original moulded base but top rebuilt in late C19 red brick; similar internal end stack with paired rebated shaft and top rebuilt in C20 purple brick to left at junction with left cross-wing. Integral lateral stack to left cross-wing.
Wall attached to front: regularly coursed and dressed sandstone to right side, red brick with chamfered sandstone plinth and coping to front and C19 red brick to left side. Wall attached to rear: regularly coursed and dressed sandstone with triangular coping.
INTERIOR: right gable has chamfered ceiling beams and heavy joists to ground floor and infilled inglenook fireplace. Large ground-floor room of hall range has deep-chamfered ceiling beams and heavy joists; enclosed staircase to left with panelling to side. Stone inglenook fireplace to right with moulded surround and mantel-shelf.Stone-flag floor. Back room of left cross-wing has complete rectangular oak panelling and stone inglenook fireplace with enriched round-headed arch decoration to wooden overmantel. Flat cross-beam ceiling. Timber framed cross walls throughout, mainly concealed by wallpaper. Inspection of first floor and attic not possible at time of resurvey (March 1986) but likely to be of interest.
Listing NGR: SJ5068327916
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings